The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Diesel upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi A4 Passat gear box install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 18 at 21:00

Dear all,

I've fitted the engine today!

Yeay.  Gearbox joined with the engine just perfectly, and with all parts from ultimate engineering, things went smooth. I bought the gearbox-front mount, so that was an easy fit, and I had the engine-cradle modified by a fried.

anyhow: only problem I ran in to: The drive shafts.  I got the pair adapters from UE, and the rightside is a perfect fit. On the leftside though, the driveshaft doesn't fit in side the circle of bolts.

I mounted the adapterplate with the original hex bolts from the Audi drive shafts, and I think their heads are just a little bit to big, or the driveshaft/CV-joint is a bit to big?   I had trouble enough since the angle is quite steep, but then I discovered the inner circle of the hex bolts is just to small.

I used the bolts in this picture:

The bus is lowered with the brickwerks lowering kit ( Bilstein B12 / Eibach 40 mm ), the engine cradle mounts are lowered 40mm and 10 mm forward, as specifications for UE's website, and I thinks everything else is still stock JX parts ( driveshafts )

The two driveshaft adapters were marked RIGHT and LEFT.  The right is a thicker adapter, fitted on the right side of the car ( the NON turbo side of the engine)
The LEFT adapter is a lot thinner, fitted on the turbo side of the bus. Because the adapter is thinner, the heads from the bolts stick out, and the CV-joint wont fit..

CV joint should be 100mm, the flanges on the box (TDI Audi) are 130.. ordered the adapters from Tim Shettle.
y
130 - 100 = 30 mm space, diveded by two = 15 mm,. Are the heads thicker than 15mm? probably.. Could I just skim them, or use different bolts? Luckily I ddn't use threadlock on them yet.... (offcourse I allready DID :-) )

Any thoughts? pictures might help too!

Edited by Jacobus - 10 Jun 18 at 21:26
It _is_ floored
andy1300gt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 18 at 21:22
Did you move the gearbox mount over at the front to the second set of holes?
It's all rust in the end....

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
76 XJC 4.2 Daimler - Gone!
72 Austin 1300
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 18 at 21:28
Originally posted by andy1300gt andy1300gt wrote:

Did you move the gearbox mount over at the front to the second set of holes?

Yes, from middle (diesel) to the rightside (petrol)..  had a hard time since the threads had never been used and the bus has been coated in a thick layer of bitumen..

The angle isn't the biggest problem,. it's the diameter of the circle of bolts holding the adapterplate,.. they don't allow the CV-joint to touch the face of the adapter.
It _is_ floored
Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 18 at 15:31
If i'm understanding your problem correctly, - having tightened up your adapter as you have by the sounds of it, remove one allen bolt at a time and file a small flat on the head to give just enough clearance. Once you have done this to all, there shouldn't be a problem.
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
Classic RangeRover 3.9 EFI
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 18 at 22:26
Probably the way to go. Should have checked while the box was on the bench. Now it's in/under the bus,. I'll just break my back again :-)

On a side note: I did get the wiring ripped from the donor Golf while being a bit demoted,..
It _is_ floored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
  Share Topic