FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed’Appalling Ride!’

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’Appalling Ride!’
    Posted: 05 May 07 at 14:17
Lent my T5 to some friends yesterday and they said, 'great van but what an appalling ride!'.... Now, I know it's got a firm ride as all commercials have to, and it's nowhere near as good as an exec car but for a vehicle in it's class I'd have thought them quite good? Also our's is only a softish 28axle weight with standard wheels/tyres which should also make the ride more compliant. 50p, my friends tell me the Vivaro has a superb ride; what's yours like? better than your old 32weight T5?
Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 07 at 14:41

Originally posted by Studioman Studioman wrote:

Lent my T5 to some friends yesterday and they said, 'great van but what an appalling ride!'.... Now, I know it's got a firm ride as all commercials have to, and it's nowhere near as good as an exec car but for a vehicle in it's class I'd have thought them quite good? Also our's is only a softish 28axle weight with standard wheels/tyres which should also make the ride more compliant. 50p, my friends tell me the Vivaro has a superb ride; what's yours like? better than your old 32weight T5?

Again Studio, I've not gone banging on about my new van, but as you've asked, the ride is a fair bit smoother than the T5. Its only a 2700 kg vehicle though , so the springs wont be as stiff, but interestingly it only has a 30 kg less payload than the T30 LWB 174 !.

Ive made a full height bulk head which is carpeted, and the drive is very quiet indeed.

kombi57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 07 at 15:56

Personally Ive always been happy with the ride in my T30. Although its rarely heavily laden (which it copes with very well) I like the firmness of the suspension.

Suppose I was used to vehicles with soft suspension that to my mind allow too much body roll around corners.

I guess its all relative to what your used to and what you feel is a comfortable setup for driving.
T30 104 Kombi
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 07 at 16:36

As my name suggests, I've been a car driver for two and half decades prior to being a van driver.  Mine's a T30 174 SWB window van.

Most of the time I drive it virtually empty as far as weight goes (all rear seats removed, just sleeping platform and windsurfing gear in the back) but find the ride better than expected.

It's certainly firm, as you would exect, given its load rating, but I use it as an every day replacement for a car and find it quite acceptable.  Mrs ECB's Mini Cooper S may be better damped but its suspension travel feels as short and because its wheelbase is so short it feels like it pitches all over the place.  The van on the other hand benefits from its long wheelbase so its hard ride is less harsh in a way.

ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 07 at 18:49

I think to describe the T5,s ride as " appalling ", is a bit harsh though. I thought my T5 was fine, ride wise !.

Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 07 at 19:18

I think the T5 ride is very good for a van and excellent when you compare it to a Honda type R

The T5’s with alloy wheels ride quality is noticeably better than the ones with steel wheels but that’s inertia for you Smile

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
sinbad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 07 at 20:11
 The ride on my t5 is very good and could not be described as appalling , have a t28 with 16" alloys . The vivaro has the quietest cab according to " what van " ( 10 weeks and counting  )
Busman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 07 at 23:19
The Shuttle is fine, and children have never felt "car sick", whereas the 406 we had was terrible.

The ride is far better than the Landy with OME shocks!
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 07 at 22:22
studioman your mates must be french t5 ride is good compared to others
its built as a work horse and it is luxury ride big time,bit of a result really at
least they wont ask to borrow it again. i use my van for my living i make a
rule of never lending it to anyone even my misses even if i am out of my nut
and that has never happened
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 07 at 13:29

Gason, I like your style!

Like you I rarely lend the van to anyone but I couldn't get out of it this time and seeing as these friends are car mad with a lovely 'stable' of cars I found it hard to refuse! Funny how people with loads of vehicles [and money] never have a van though....

Next time they ask I'll propose a swap for his DB9

Post Reply Post Reply