The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any recommendations devon poptop refurbishment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any recommendations devon poptop refurbishment
    Posted: 24 Jun 12 at 19:44
hello all, i have just installed a new roof vent in my devon poptop to replace  the old one that had started to leak, had to chop out some of the fibreglass covered wooden battens as they had turned to compost, quite litterally

i have replaced the crappy wood with some nice 1"x1" box section which i will squirt some PU expandable builders foam into to stop condensation in the metal then i'll recover them with fibreglass matting

anyhoo, i found the devon roof lining carpet to be a bit worse for wear so i've ripped it all out

i'm considering the idea of having the roof refurbed with new lining carpet, & anything else it needs, seals etc etc

i want it done right & to look perfect, also can i us insulation of some type to line the roof first?

any recommendations of where to get it done
i laugh at my own jokes cause there funny to me! i dont give a fck if you dont think they are

if your in the redline lol ya having a good time! lol ;P

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 12 at 20:36
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

billybigspud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybigspud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 12 at 20:48
Do it yourself, It is well easy. Lots of stanley blades, good pair of scissors and loads of glue. I just used normal carpet as well so had no stretch what so ever.
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 11:12
i was thinking of doing a DIY job partly as i do everthing else on my van,

is it worth me putting 12mm celotex on the roof, all joints covered in aluminium tape then lining carpet over th top

i would use an extemely strong PU adhesive to attache the celotex to the roof, for the body repairer guys its called terostat, its used for fitting aftermarket bodykits/spoilers etc etc, its tough as old boots

my plan is to take all my devon kitchen out & insulate & carpet out my van, refit it all & have a nice new floor

not really done anything like this so if anyone has recommendations for insulation materials, i was just gonna go down wikes's or the builders merchants

i have heard that fireproof PU adhesive expanding foam is good for sound proofing & insulation but has to be sprayed with a proper gun with a compressor, i think this is what they do on those refridgerated vans but i'm not 100% sure, & of course thats quick & easy to apply & fills all the gaps between inner/outer panels

its all very complex as i dont want to creat a situ of condensation behind the panels either, i have buckets of waxoyl to inject before the insulation & i'm gonna start stripping the kitchen units out tomorow

DUST MASKS AT THE READY I RECKON!!!
i laugh at my own jokes cause there funny to me! i dont give a fck if you dont think they are

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybigspud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 18:24
Have a look at my ' some pics of the devon ' thread on 80 90 as it may help you out a bit. Might not be your cup of tea though but I have taken pictures of the roof refurb I did.
As for insulation, I put it in the same category as cavity wall in your house. could cause problems so just turn the heating up/ buy a propex/eber etc. 
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 20:07
billy have you a link i cant find it

covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 20:09
scratch that just found the bugger, its cause my spelling is shocking, bad spelling & a search function is a no no
what a tard

covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 20:20
& billiy thats a cracking job, give me the info on how you went about doing the roof, i have been thinking of taking the top part off mine, i have stripped all the glue off my devon roof, i'm going to be a complete pain to my neigbors & attack my roof with the sander next so its prepped for my next move

the hard part is those bloody plastic strips that hold both the oe carpet & i think the roof bellows, the screws are impossible to get out as you probobly know or you have been a jammy sod & your came out like they were fitted yesterday LOL :OP

my van is pretty much rust free so thats a bonus, but its gotton a bit tatty so i'm doing a interiour refurb & bringing insulation/soundproofing up to spec really, get it how i want it, no knocks or rattles to make the best of my rubbish sound system, its rubbish cause i dont like wiring :OD

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybigspud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 21:16
They were horrible to get out. I used a set of side cutters as the heads are quite soft and went round every one and undone them like that. That plastic strip I just replaced with a window fitters trim and put a butyl tape between the body and the belows.Then drilled and used 25mm rivits every 100mm.
 I reckon you could fit a carpet in situte without removing the lid. Once you get going it is easy. Just use shit loads of spray glue and shit loads of stanley blades so you get a good cut every time. Mine is done in four different bits and the vent is an elixir one 360 x 360
Just go for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply