The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another nine hundred quid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another nine hundred quid
    Posted: 08 Dec 07 at 11:07
When I decided on a T5 I was under the impression that I was buying an economical van. The cachet was a nice to have of course but principally I wanted reliability, economy and longevity. I prefer to keep cars and vans until they are scrap, it avoids the sickening depreciation when trading in anything that you have only had for a couple of years. Well, I am beginning to think that I have made a mistake. I took my bog standard 1.9 85ps in for a service and oil change and came away with a bill for £925 ! This was for two tyres, (fair enough) anti roll bar and bushes, (why replace the bar?) leaking pipes on the power steering (£108 +vat for one of the pipes) and £54 for the other plus £71 for a stabiliser. and then they rub it in by the usual £2.00 for screenwash, I deliberately filled up the screenwash before I took the van in. Now they have added an advisory to the bottom of the bill, "slight chattering from the gearbox, suspect flywheel, parts £391, labour £368.
This is the most expensive van I have ever owned, not yet four years old, low mileage, 34,000 only and never carries heavy loads as I use it for windsurfing equipment. and bits need replacing that, in my opinion, should last ten years. And coming up soon is the cambelt etc. I think I should have got a trannie. cheap and not so cheerful, a bit pikey, but cheap to run. or am I being naive ? I think I need a forum hug!
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 07 at 11:10
Sorry moderator, should have posted this next door. 

bring me sunshine.
Delfhill View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 07 at 12:02
I feel really sorry for you, that's an awful bill. Like you I bought my van expecting a long and trouble free life, feeling the extra expense in moving up from  my previous Transits was worth it. After all, for the same money I could have bought a fairly upmarket car. Hearing tales like yours is rather worrying although I suppose nobody posts messages about not having to pay big bills so perhaps the forum sometimes feels excessively full of doom and gloom.That doesn't help you though, so heartfelt sympathies and all best wishes for Christmas and the New Year
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 07 at 16:04
Originally posted by zedzedeleven zedzedeleven wrote:

Sorry moderator, should have posted this next door. 

'Salright, I'll let you off seeing as you've just got such a huge bill.

here you go - see, not all moderators are monsters!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 07 at 16:25
Thanks OJ, I needed that !

bring me sunshine.
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 07 at 16:53
ZZ11, bad luck mate.  You need a good sailing sesh to make you feel better and forget you woes.  I'll pray for wind in your neck of the woods and wish you a merry season.
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 07 at 17:35

Gutted for you, I too purchased for long term, I hope I don't get a bill like that. Many years back when I had a T4 I got a £600 bill for a brakes overhaul   I wasn't a happy bunny.

take it on the chin then look at your options, flog it, burn it, keep it.

Anyway, Glad Tidings. D4L

Motexion, not cheap plywood!
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 07 at 17:37

Hey Orangina, have you sent this to John Darwin!!!

Motexion, not cheap plywood!
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 07 at 22:51
Originally posted by Dub4life Dub4life wrote:

Hey Orangina, have you sent this to John Darwin!!!

D4L,
Yes but pretending you've been canoeing for 5 years is...

Actually there is a little confusion about this whole 'canoeist' issue! The pictures I've seen relating to John Darwin show a wrecked KAYAK.

There is a popular misconception that the open 'boat' is a kayak and the 'boat' with a hole you sit in is a canoe - in fact it is visa versa (see below)

CANOE

KAYAK

SIT-ON-TOP KAYAK

To add to the confusion - I am a s-o-t kayaker (but Veedurb pinched the kayak logo).
And, strangely, it is alright to use the verb 'canoeing' to describe what kayakers do...

Edited by orangina
fozzy T5 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzy T5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 07 at 09:12

I rang the volkswagon dealers yesterday for a 10,000 mile service (i looked whats involved on my autodata disk) and all thats involved is a oil change, the quoted me £270+vat.

So im getting genuine parts now and getting it serviced elsewhere, as you still keep the van under warrenty, my friend who is a mechanic says that theve changed the law recently you can now take to any registered garage and have work done there aslong as you use geniune vw parts.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 07 at 11:00
Thanks for the commiserations and sympathy guys, I have located a vag trained indie who is gaining a good rep for his work on transporters. He is off ski-ing at the moment, when he gets back I will check out his prices for the clutch and the timing belt. Like Fozzy says, £270 + vat for an oil change is taking the ptits. I don`t need chrome and acres of plate glass and posh coffee machines and receptionists and smart lads in corporate polo shirts whose only function seems to be to carry the keys from reception to the guy in the workshop (that you never get to see). I`ll keep you posted.

bring me sunshine.
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 07 at 16:00
Now that mine is out of warranty, it will never see the inside of a VW dealer again, it has always gone to My local VW/ Audi indy, QR Sport in Tattenhall in Cheshire for servicing.

I think that if / when the clutch fails I would investigate the possibility of retrofitting the clutch and flywheel from a T4 if at all possible.

For what its worth the DM flywheel assembly from the new Transit is no cheap deal
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 07 at 17:13
This is the first time I have ever had to replace a clutch in anything. Throughout my motoring career I have usually used pattern spares and can only remember two things going wrong, a steering rack for a mk. one cortina that was worse than the one that I took off, and a thermostat that was faulty. Other than these I have had no problems. As far as the Transporter goes, it`s primary function is as a workhorse and it should be essentially reliable and cheap and easy to repair. I am beginning to think that one of the last T4`s would have been the ideal van for me. The T5`s only saving grace is it`s handsome looks and pleasant to drive experience. I look forward to how The Transporter in the post above gets on in his exercise in retro fitting a T4 clutch. If it goes well we may see a retrofit movement to replace all the parts that are letting the T5 down.

bring me sunshine.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 07 at 20:49
I'm kinda hoping that it will be a while before I have to try to retrofit the clutch, but....

The last of the T4s were pretty good looking and were pretty nice to drive too, I really regret letting my T4 go in favour of the T5.

My comments on the reliability of the T5 bearing in mind that it is a work horse are well documented

If my clutch fails, you guys will be the first to know...In capitals!!
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 07 at 21:04

All those faults at 34000 miles . Something has to be wrong somwhere . Iether the mileage isn't correct , or the parts were not really required , or the previouse owner gave the van a very very hard life .

Maybe Iam being a bit hard on you but if your van is 4 yrs old why pay dealer prices .

Ask for the worn parts they have removed

And if the screenwash was full ask for the screenwash as they couldn't of fitted it.

I think if you want a simple van to last forever and cost little in repairs then you need to go back about 10 yrs and put up with a noisy slow transit without a turbo.

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 07 at 21:42
My T4 800Special was a glowing example of reliability, All I ever did was change the oil and filter every 6000 miles, the only fault that I had with it was the after market immobiliser failing but I ripped that off and off it went again...Happy days in an AA yellow T4 

Edited by The Transporter
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 07 at 09:31
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

All those faults at 34000 miles . Something has to be wrong somwhere . Iether the mileage isn't correct , or the parts were not really required , or the previouse owner gave the van a very very hard life .

Maybe Iam being a bit hard on you but if your van is 4 yrs old why pay dealer prices .

Ask for the worn parts they have removed

And if the screenwash was full ask for the screenwash as they couldn't of fitted it.

I think if you want a simple van to last forever and cost little in repairs then you need to go back about 10 yrs and put up with a noisy slow transit without a turbo.

Well, I dunno. The van was a demo from Verve in Glasgow so I have no reason to believe that the mileage would be tampered with, surely a major franchise wouldn`t do that ? They probably gave it a hard life though.
As to the screenwash, well, er, I found the can with most of it still in had been left in the passenger door pocket . As for the bits that were replaced, I will have to take their word for it now, the only thing that puzzles me was that they said the tyres were down to three mil. , I thought the legal limit was one point five, but anyway, one of them had been plugged so I wasn`t too bothered. I`m not questioning the integrity of the garage here, more Volkswagen`s charges and vunerable parts. I will be taking the van to an indie next time, that`s for sure. And yes, Kernow, a non turbo transit? that will do nicely!

bring me sunshine.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 07 at 19:56

Well if you want a non turbo transit my mate is selling my old one . 97 with just 77k miles in faded white . Give it a respray and some good rust proofing and it would do maybe do another 10yrs . Its never been welded, and its clean and strait . A rare find but still worth no more than 1500 quid

he wants a t4 cos it looks cooler . i have been trying to pusuade him the transit with a set of alloys and a nice paint job would be a good cheap alternative ?? Horses for courses I guess just hope i don't regret selling the old gal.

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fifty pence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 07 at 20:54
Originally posted by fozzy T5 fozzy T5 wrote:

I rang the volkswagon dealers yesterday for a 10,000 mile service (i looked whats involved on my autodata disk) and all thats involved is a oil change, the quoted me £270+vat.

So im getting genuine parts now and getting it serviced elsewhere, as you still keep the van under warrenty, my friend who is a mechanic says that theve changed the law recently you can now take to any registered garage and have work done there aslong as you use geniune vw parts.

This fact is correct fozzy.

But is is worth bearing in mind that, if you have a major problem outside of warranty, VW will probably drastically reduce the amount of their " good will " contribution towards the repair if you havnt used their van center  network for your servicing .

Remember that a vehicles faults are not confined to the first 3 years !!, and VW Commercials do run a very good, " good will " contribution scheme .

landyspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landyspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 07 at 21:03

Hi fozzy,

I paid £205 incl vat for my 1st service on my 174 Kombi

maybe worth looking around

Landy

all the gear no idea!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>