The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Alternative' Westy Pop-Top Child Safety Net

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeavsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Alternative' Westy Pop-Top Child Safety Net
    Posted: 06 Jun 10 at 16:47
Hi,

Don't know if this will help anyone, but I have been after something to stop my kids falling out of the pop-top bed since they both fell out last summer hols!  On my way home from work a couple of days ago I saw an old kid's travel cot in a skip (yeah, I know, dead pikey!).  So I liberated it and chopped off one side of it and lo and behold the tubes were exactly the right size to fit the stubs in the Westy!  And it is exactly the right size (about 120cm long), fits great and folds down really small.  The only thing I would do differently is to leave enough material to pull under the bed base so that you could fix it with some velcro.  I chopped first, so will have to retro fit a flap.

Anyway, the kids were much happier when we were away this weekend and slept with their heads at the 'right' end for the first time in ages.  And I'm happy 'cos it cost me nowt!  Happy skipping.
ttcharlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 10 at 14:22
Bloody Skip rats Smile
Counting Bricks.....
ghop99 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghop99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 10 at 15:41
Surely you must have a picture of this?  I have similar issues......
I've found my Syncro......

1987 T3 Syncro
2008 Golf
2010 Passat

VW Camper Hire Devon http://www.morecambeandwize.co.uk/vanhire/devon/
Jeavsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeavsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 20:16
It's actually a bit awkward trying to get one, but will try tomorrow.  I presume you are after one of it installed?
waltraud View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltraud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 23:03
I've made one too. Just get some stel pipe with the correct ID to fit snugly over the little stubby uprights that are just infront of the pop top bed when down. Borrow a plumbers pipe bender for larger pipe and bend the whole length with two 90 degree angles so you have an elongated 'n' shape. I wleded on a strnegthening bit in between each end and put some fabrick on it. Tim
1983 Joker pop-top Waltraud 1.9DG
Jeavsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeavsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 10 at 09:16
Hi all,

Finally managed between rainstorms and work to get some phots taken.  First of all apologies for the lack of finish - that is this weekend's job.  So try to ignore the rough edges on the pipe and ragged ends to the material.  This is the complete net in place (yes, I know it's got some holes in it - it came out of a skip!).

A close up of one side:

The next 2 show how neatly the legs fit over the Westy stubs:

and finally, this is it folded up for storage, shown on top of the cooker for scale.

Hope this helps any other budding skip rats!

Edited by Jeavsy - 19 Jun 10 at 09:22
 Post Reply Post Reply