The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

air mass sensor help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueT507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: air mass sensor help
    Posted: 13 Jun 18 at 18:42
hi I've a 2.5 on a 07 plate. lights all came on had it diagnosed as air mass sensor. they reset it and worked ok for few hours then back with the lights. bought a new one today and fitted it now van won't start. plug old one in and it starts. any ideas please. also a problem has developed when I pull washer fluid it cuts the van out and then won't start till I disconnect and reconnect the mass sensor. I've just spent a fortune on widows and carpeting the back now all this lol just my luck
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 04:31
Possibly a problem with electrical connectors ?  I'd start by checking with all the ones that move or are disturbed when you unplug & plug air mass sensor.  Look for corrosion and/or bent pins.

Can you check for error codes ?   That might help point you in the right direction.
blueT507 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueT507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 05:53
I've a code reader coming today I hope. I've had a brief look all seems fine but will look harder tonight after work could it be a fuse?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 08:37
The air mass sensor shouldn't be able stop the engine running.  If the air mass meter isn't working or is disconnected the ECU will use a fixed value for the amount of air entering the engine.  This will make it badly underpowered but shouldn't stop the engine.  

It is worth checking all of the fuses including the ones beside the battery using a meter or a test lamp.  And any earths under the bonnet (there is one on the top starter bolt) and behind the dash.  Bad earths can cause all sorts of problems like the weird screenwasher stopping the engine thing.  Also make sure no screenwasher water is leaking onto the E box under the battery or the Engine ECU.  A common screenwasher pipe fracture is by the passenger side bonnet hinge.  

It's possible that some has screwed through the loom or there is loom damage somewhere.  It's quite rare for the engine to completely stop due to an electrical fault.  Look out for terminal 30 codes with VCDS.  Have a look at this thread and especially see VW Master-tech's post and pic.  http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/t5-axd-wont-start_topic86439.html
2004 2.5 174
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 12:20
sounds like the new sensor could be faulty, what make is it and where did you buy it?
blueT507 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueT507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 12:46
ebay not sure on make there sending a replacement out the connected for the wires seating clip in like original
blueT507 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueT507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 18:28
have code p0104 come up saying mass or volume air flow a circuit intermitant did start but now nothing again apart from beeps and warning lights even after erasing codes. also another engine scan said same number but no input. wires look ok to be not split it or frayed etc.
on more scans I got more 13093 power supply (b+) terminal 15:implausable 01341 control module in instrument panel on comfort can j285
helllllpppp
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 19:28
Terminal 15 is the switched supply.  It could be that the terminal 15 relay is faulty or an ignition switch fault.  If the van receives a dodgy switched supply it will upset many systems.  You might need a sparky to sort it out unless you are handy with a meter and have a wiring diagram.  

Are all the fuses good?  Make sure there are no corroded terminals on the fuses and check the relays are working and in good nick.   

If you have an aftermarket radio it's worth disconnecting it to eliminate mis-wiring.  
2004 2.5 174
blueT507 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueT507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 19:43
I fitted a amp and speakers also a reversing camara that's all working good and it auto cuts out with a bad earth but that does not mean a thing I'm guessing? I'll have a look at all the wires for that tomorrow but thing your right need a sparky. the wipers and washer cutting all lights on dash out now to would that be a fuse or where's the wires for that unit.

thanks for the help mate
 Post Reply Post Reply