The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Air con stopped working - hot/burnt motor smell?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air con stopped working - hot/burnt motor smell?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air con stopped working - hot/burnt motor smell?
    Posted: 08 Jul 17 at 15:29
Hi, I was sitting in the van with the engine running, air con on, as my little one had fallen asleep.
The air coming out started smell weird, then smelt of burning brushes on a motor. Now the air con isn't blowing cold.
About 3months ago I had a new condensor and a new compressor.

I don't know much about air con systems. Is there a motor that could have burnt out?
Cheers, Max
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 17 at 09:25
The most common reason for a burning smell linked to the heater is the resistor for the blower motor.  Is the blower still working on all speeds?  If your van has climate control it may not be obvious.
2004 2.5 174
Maxb10v8 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 17 at 13:17
Yes blowers are fine.
I have a theory...you can smell the burnt motor in the engine bay. I wondered if the fan motor has burnt out? I know that if the rad fan doesn't come on the air con won't work.
Is that a good theory?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 17 at 15:09
It's possible. Usually if the cooling fan seizes it blows a fuse.  You could check the fuses and see if the A/C one is blown.  I wouldn't replace any fuse until the culprit for blowing it is found given the burning smell you had.  You should get an auto electrician to check it out in case of any loom chaffing because if any unfused part of the loom earths out you could have a fire.  See Master Tech's pic in this thread! 

2004 2.5 174
Maxb10v8 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 17 at 19:31
Ok thanks. I'll give my Indy a buzz in the morning.
Maxb10v8 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 07:41
The vans sorted now!
It turned out that the Gates coupling that connects the power steering pump to the air con pump. It had stripped on the teeth on the air con side, and the smell was the belt getting hot.
It does beg the question, why did it strip its teeth? Anyone have an idea?
But I guess I'll see if it goes again.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 08:48
It could be normal wear and tear if the van has done around 100k which is the when they are supposed to be replaced (the alternator has one too).  Some people have ignored this change and had them go on to 200k but others have seen them strip at 90k.  

If the freewheel for the A/C is seized it can cause more wear on A/C compressor and the coupling over time.  You can easily check for yourself if the A/C freewheel is working as it should once you have the belly pan off.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9GX9VFC-Mk

This pic shows how it works:

Edited by T5 TDI - 19 Jul 17 at 09:13
2004 2.5 174
Maxb10v8 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 17 at 13:35
Bollocks.
It's stopped working again!! I thought it was too good to be true.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 17 at 23:54
There could be a few reasons why the rubber coupling has stripped again if it has.  Either the coupling dog on the back of the power steering pump has slack on it (worn power steering pump) or the compressor is seized/stiff/wobbling around, or the compressor is out of line because someone has allowed either/both of the two dowels to fall off at some point. Tongue  A seized freewheel could cause it but that is unlikely to happen over such a short time.        

Edited by T5 TDI - 23 Jul 17 at 23:56
2004 2.5 174
Maxb10v8 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 17 at 07:17
Picked the van up yesterday. They fitted a new pump, it was still under warranty so there was no charge! Phew.
Hopefully it's sorted now.
 Post Reply Post Reply