The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGG Conversion - alternator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AGG Conversion - alternator
    Posted: 21 Oct 15 at 18:14
Hi guys,
going by the number of copies of my bunch of documents that I have sent to prospective converters there must now be a considerable number of AGG converted vans out there. I would expect that there is a fair chance that many of them are running without power steering and without air conditioning. This request is aimed at those owners.

I am trying to source a more powerful alternator for mine. It currently has a 70amp unit. It runs via a ribbed belt and has the coil spring below it to tension the belt before the clamp bolts are tightened.

Can anyone point me at a donor vehicle which would have a more powerful version of this style of alternator, please? At least 90amp and maybe 100+?

I have a suspicion that early T4s had similar units but have been unable to confirm this.

thanks
Garyd
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 15 at 20:24
i think the spring under alternator would be your problem. later fixed versions would prob be interchangeable. would twin alternators help? i think there would be room for it?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 15 at 20:58
Pretty sure the aaz I hag from a mk3 had a 90 amp? Same mount as the agg.
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 15 at 21:00
Can't edit the post? Obviously should have been had!

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 15 at 21:01
cant edit? must be you too!

fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 15 at 21:27
Post code do you think?

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 15 at 20:02
anyway looking today casings seem very similar between some fixed and your sprung alternator. maybe you could put the inners in you casing?

danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 15 at 21:33
The spring tensioned alternator setup was also fitted to certain diesel T4s, Mk3 Golfs, Passats etc. So most likely 90 and maybe even 120amp alternators will be available.

Those alternators are specific to that bracket design and therefore differ to the fixed alternator with the spring loaded tensioner pulley.

wedgedout View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wedgedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 15 at 12:52
I think I have a MK3 compatible 90 amp alternator in my stash of parts, I believe it came form a 1Y engined car.

I can take a look this week, I've got a 1Y in my van at the moment and am looking to go AGG because I like revs, have 235 70's on the rear, and am using a DK gearbox, the 1Y isn't ideal really.

Are you the chap that wrote the bible?, I'm looking at donors at the moment, and could use some guidance wiring wise.
Dave Dorson
07811 050 074
david dot dorson at gmail dot com :)
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 15 at 13:39
Originally posted by wedgedout wedgedout wrote:

Are you the chap that wrote the bible?, I'm looking at donors at the moment, and could use some guidance wiring wise.

He is that man!

As for wiring, the bible is a good guide and there are a good number of people on here that can help further. But it is really a straightforward task if you feel comfortable with wiring and can use a soldering iron. You can also get someone to do your loom, I normally have a spare AGG loom and a 2E loom on hand but have none at the moment.

Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
wedgedout View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wedgedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 15 at 13:43
Originally posted by Titus A Duxass Titus A Duxass wrote:

He is that man!

As for wiring, the bible is a good guide and there are a good number of people on here that can help further. But it is really a straightforward task if you feel comfortable with wiring and can use a soldering iron. You can also get someone to do your loom, I normally have a spare AGG loom and a 2E loom on hand but have none at the moment.

I'm happy to do it myself if I know what I'm looking at :).

I've seen references to the bible, I've never seen a copy, how do I go about getting one?
Dave Dorson
07811 050 074
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 15 at 14:06
I can send a copy gmail account now or you can go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/256191624580607/ and download it from the files.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
wedgedout View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wedgedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 15 at 14:14
If you could email it that'd be grand!, I've requested to join the group

Dave Dorson
07811 050 074
Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 16 at 18:11
Hi Guys, thanks for your responses. For some reason I haven't been back onto this thread since I started! (Slapped wrist earned, I think.)

I think I have a MK3 compatible 90 amp alternator in my stash of parts, I believe it came form a 1Y engined car.I can take a look this week,

Did you find this alternator, Dave?

I would like to try a 90amp unit to see if it makes any significant difference to the charged voltage on my leisure battery - it seems to be rather low at present.

thanks

Edited by Garyd - 07 Feb 16 at 18:12
Garyd
 Post Reply Post Reply