The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on new wheels/off road tyres for LT35

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revolverich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on new wheels/off road tyres for LT35
    Posted: 06 Apr 17 at 22:22
Hi all,

I have searched through the posts and can't quite find the info I need...
I am looking to upgrade my tyres (LT35 2.4D 1996), and would preferably choose some off roaders...
However, the tyre size seems very old and selection is limited.  I was thinking of getting some new (2nd hand) wheels but am perplexed with the data relative to sizes and types, nut spacings etc. I have been on wheel fitment and etka, but don't really understand the data.
I  need only single tyres on the rear and the sizes are 205R14C.

Apparently there is much more choice of tyres on 15's 
Has anyone fitted off roadies, and if I look for new wheels do you know what I need?
Can I fit 16's also? does bigger wheel mean faster ride? Have any downsides?

All help appreciated!Thumbs Up

Thanks Smile
make hay while the sun shines...
Now rollin' in an LT 35 E Diesel 2.4 1996
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 17 at 21:49
The offset on the LT is 51mm and bolt pattern is 5x160. I found some 6,5x15 wheels, with 53mm offset from a Ford Transit, that i have put on my camper. I just needed some new bolts and nuts (14mm 1,5) Thees wheels are aluminum. If you want Steel wheels it must be even easier to find some used on the net.
Wheels from Transit Custom and front wheel drive Transit have the right offset. RWD Transit have 60mm offsett.
Or you can try to find some wheels from Bentley Brokelands, Kia Bongo and Tata, Mahindra and some other cars from India.

87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
revolverich View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revolverich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 17 at 23:06
Thanks for your help Buss Marius...!

Am I correct in understanding there is a tolerance of +/- 5mm with a wheel offset? Hence 2mm being ok...
RWD Transit at 60mm not ok?

Do you know of any particular year groups which the Transit Custom and FWD versions are correct? Any year ok?

Excuse my ignorance but what does the 6,5 relate to? I get the 15 as inch size of wheel. 

Thanks for the other suggestions but I'm sensing Transit wheels are the easy way forward!!

Cheers. Big smile

BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 17 at 08:35
The 6.5 relates to the width of the wheel in inches inside the rim, e.g. where the tyre bead sits.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revolverich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 17 at 11:15
Thanks BeJay...
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 17 at 11:26

For me it is sometimes easier to look at a picture. The offset we are referring to on our beloved vans is a positive offset (so in our case the BIGGER the number, the further under the arches they hide.)
If it can't be fixed, I'm not interested!
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 17 at 10:48
Has anyone looked at the Weller Wheels website - they have some serious looking rims on there..... none that fit the LT though..... however I called them and the guy on the phone asked me to complete the online form, which I did, and sent it off to their design team for review. 

I now wait with baited breath.... not sure they will be cheap, or even if they will consider them.... but their Extreme Rims looked awesome!
If it can't be fixed, I'm not interested!
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revolverich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 17 at 11:15
Thanks for the info...

Thumbs Up
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 18 at 07:03
Originally posted by Buss Marius Buss Marius wrote:

The offset on the LT is 51mm and bolt pattern is 5x160. I found some 6,5x15 wheels, with 53mm offset from a Ford Transit, that i have put on my camper. I just needed some new bolts and nuts (14mm 1,5) Thees wheels are aluminum. If you want Steel wheels it must be even easier to find some used on the net.
Wheels from Transit Custom and front wheel drive Transit have the right offset. RWD Transit have 60mm offsett.
Or you can try to find some wheels from Bentley Brokelands, Kia Bongo and Tata, Mahindra and some other cars from India.

Reviving an old thread, I know, but I didn't find an answer to my question anywhere else. Does anyone know why do you need new bolts and nuts when switching to Transit wheels ? I was under the impression that you can just countersink the holes and use the original bolts and nuts.

Cheers !
1980 Pop Top LT28 2.0 Petrol converted by Karroseriefabrik Voll von Wurzburg
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 18 at 12:22
LT28 and LT31 are 5×160 6J14H2 ET51 with M14x1.5 bolts/nuts which have a 60 degree taper

LT wheels use the countersinks to centre the wheel.
Transits use a centrebore to centre the wheel, and ordinary nuts/bolts and flat washers.

Countersinking the Transit wheels changes the way they work and introduce stresses they were not designed for.

Others have just countersunk the Transit wheels.

The countersinks are easily available.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 18 at 06:54
Thank you LTCamper89. I knew these details, that's why I said about the countersink option. That's how I was going to do it, now that I found a set of 16' steel Transit wheels for just 50 pounds. Smile
So the wheels would center just by using other bolts and nuts, without the need to countersink them, right ? And what would those nuts and bolts be like ? So I know what I'm looking for.
Cheers !
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 18 at 11:16
My alu Wheels, like most alu Wheels, neds tapperd bolts and nuts, so i had to have new ones any how.
I am extremely happy with the New Wheels and tyres that i had on my Karmann LT last summer, best 90£ i have ever spent. It is may be wrong, but i think the reduced weight of the New Wheels, as the reason the LT has been runing better than ever, giving us an average fuel consumption of 12,1L/100km during last years summer vacation in Northern Germany, Louxembourg, Belgium and Holland. Mostly flatt, but we wisited the highest points in all the 3 Be-Ne-Lux countries.   
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 18 at 15:55
That is a very good fuel economy, given the size of the box the engine is carrying. :)
My 2.0 petrol engine drinks 13l/100km on a 90km/h real speed - and 17l/100km on LPG at the same speed. I hope that by increasing the wheel size by 10% to get a bit better fuel economy. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the info, guys, I'll keep you posted.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 18 at 16:55
Yes it is very good fuel economy, specialy for a Karmann LT loaded almost to the max at 3180kg
But it is the weight of the Wheels and tires, not that they where 3,17% bigger than the old ones that helps on the fuel economy.

As i have an electric car i read a little bit on the Norwegian Electric car forum. Since all electric cars commes with alu wheels, we experience that the smaler the wheels, the les consumption. So weight of the wheels is more important than size.

Post Reply Post Reply