The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice: Coolant leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice: Coolant leak
    Posted: 14 Sep 18 at 10:42

Re: '88 1.6 TD

Hi

Due to having to top up my header tank a few times, I was confused! So I lifted off the engine cover had a look around the engine and spotted some coolant on the right side of the tappet cover.

I topped up the header tank, cleaned off the coolant, drove 28 kms, checked again and found some more coolant on the right side of the tappet cover.

Any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks

Edited by julian67 - 14 Sep 18 at 10:48
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 18 at 11:10
Don't know the engine but it's quite common for the cooling fan to blow coolant away from the actual leak. Worth a look.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 18 at 18:01
The flange at the back of the cylinder head (with a rubber hose and temp sender) warps.
Wrap it up in tissue and see if it comes from there.
Mine used to leak very slightly from there, the moisture evaporated  so you didn't see it. 
When the engine cools it is supposed to draw coolant back from the expansion tank behind the flap but in my case it preferred to suck air in from behind this flange. Hence air in the header tank!!!
Took a very long time to trace this problem but new flange from Brickwerks solved it.

Edited by Pete Westy - 20 Sep 18 at 18:06
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
RogerT View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 18 at 13:48
Also the flange on the side of the engine can leak, as can the ?3 hoses there obviously... in fact it can leak anywhere but I’d say the flange on the side is an equally good bet. Especially if it’s original.
 Post Reply Post Reply