Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ Bluestar with flipped Audi box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 14 at 21:56
Been out in mine today, with my lovely 6 speed. Cruises at 80 2600rpm, lovely.

The terminators cock is fine too, but now I need shorter cables, the 5 speed ones are coiled around the underside of the van

This is how my leather clad terminators cock looks now:

I'll post up some of the graphs from "torque" soon as I have now worked out how to do them!

Edited by fufflenarnia - 05 Jul 14 at 21:59
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 14 at 22:12
Originally posted by GavB95 GavB95 wrote:

Yes yes yes! Cheers lads.    

I went to MV expecting them to have a set up using original gear lever like shown in the thread on Keith's PD but turns out it wasn't 100% so they are now using the pioneers set-up

Clap
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 14 at 22:14
I'd be interested in the cables if you do order some new ones Steve.

That gaiter looks tidy, really smartens it all up. Btw thanks for your posts on your thread re linkage, wouldn't have had a clue if it weren't for you.

Edited by GavB95 - 05 Jul 14 at 22:15
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 14 at 22:47
What's little red button do the Steve? Launch control, ejector seat?
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 14 at 22:59
Shuts the kids up......

If only.

It stops me getting reverse - the 5 speed won't let you go from 5 to reverse. The 6 has a lift on the selector. The cable shifter doesn't have that, so I fitted this -

The solenoid blocks the washer, press the button and it lets it by.

Oh, I have an interested party for my selector setup (I plan on buying a new shifter too so will sell the full setup).

Edited by fufflenarnia - 05 Jul 14 at 23:03
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 14 at 21:35
Not got much further with the gear selector but keep going with the other jobs in the mean time.

I pulled the dash at the weekend, oiled the heater motor seals and blaste it all through with the compressor, tidied the wiring, cleaned up the earth crowns and fitted a new heater cable.

Surprised how easy it was to remove the dash, I'd spent a day laid in the drivers footwell stripping out dodgy wiring when I bought the van (polish improvised immobilisers and an air horn with a hidden switched live of the ignition switch!). Wish I'd just ripped the dash out back then.

I've had the van for just over 1 year now (bought on my 30th birthday ) My missus bought me a pair of Team Heko wind deflectors and i put some cash towards a Momo Prototipo steering wheel and boss which should look nice in the cab (mk2 polo wheel in there atm). Just need to sort some cables for the gearbox and I'm away!
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 14 at 21:09
Momo wheel arrived today so stuck it on, won't be to everyone's taste but I love it. It looks loads better than the old one.
Old...

New...

Stuck a Westfalia tow ball cover on (nice and cheap on ebay) and satin blacked some wiper arms to replace the worn out ones on the van (no spindle grooves left).

All cosmetic stuff but keeps the mojo up. Now trying to sell all my shite on ebay to pay for cable shift set up.
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 14 at 22:25
Like the momo
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 14 at 23:31
Cheers! I fancied a padded PAS wheel but they're mega money and don't look like anything different really. Happy with this.

Edited by GavB95 - 18 Jul 14 at 23:31
DavidPallister View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidPallister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 14 at 05:57
Like the Momo, where'd u get it from, and did it include a fitting kit?
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 14 at 10:35
Bought it used off ebay but it looks like new and it came with the fitting boss. It'd been fitted in a mk1 golf so it's a direct fit onto T3 column. Visibility of speedo is restricted a bit but I can live with that.

There's a silver centred one on ebay ATM for £85 (121388350672) fits a polo 6n so would need a mk1 golf boss (about £20 used, make sure it's early/small spline). Not cheap but hold their money as they're popular wheels on classic 911s.

Edited by GavB95 - 19 Jul 14 at 10:43
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 14 at 21:50
Got the gears selecting nicely at the weekend using the rod set up. I'd hoped to go for cable shift and have it sorted before our holiday in August. I'd given up trying with the rod set up opting for cables but didn't want to let the missus down if cables weren't available so got back under the van.

I tried all sorts, adjusting splines, cross drilling and passing bolts through linkage/adapter, then welding rod to adapter solid, tried a rebuilt 5spd selector box on the front and had no luck.

Realised that the selector was hitting the wall in the selector box before reaching 5 and R so I took the 5spd off and refitted the 4 after I'd cut the side out to allow the extra clearance, proper pikey but it now works.

Took it for a spin and it drove nicely but didn't go too far as it's not taxed till Friday. Shake down this weekend and then if it's all good we're off touring Scotland.

Got the emergency transport in the back just incase...

Edited by GavB95 - 29 Jul 14 at 22:36
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 14 at 15:41
Found the storage areas under the front seats today. I didn't know they were there, think I'd assumed they'd be blanked off on the diesels. Lined them out with some offcuts of thick rubber carpet underlay to reduce some of the road noise and lined out under the rear bench too. 

I've got half a roll of flashband left over from a roofing job so going to pop the door cards off and add a slab of it onto each of the vertical panels and I need to get a DIN cage so I can install my radio.

Going to plumb in the oil cooler (just needs take off plate fitting and hoses connecting) and fit my £10 ebay boost pin at the weekend. Mates just fitted same pin to his AAZ and says it goes like stink now.

Ebay item number: 111421669865

ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 14 at 15:55
Looking good Bredrin.

Too late now but have a black small PAS wheel I keep meaning to advertise at sensible money.

Keep the pics coming Bredrin.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 14 at 21:28
Cheers bud. The van's now taxed and I've been building up distance on drives out around the lanes. It's driving nicely, I've got to get used to the gear selector gate, but it pulls really well and feels really strong in 4th but I haven't pushed it too hard so limited use of 5th on the twisty roads.

I noticed that my driveshafts are really close to the trailing arms though (expected it to settle more) so I've put in an order for some Avo lowering springs this morning (dampers will have to wait till next pay day (or 2!)).

Decided not to use it till they're fitted, so hoping they'll turn up in the next few days. We're pretty slack so haven't booked owt in Scotland, we'll just set off if/when it's ready. There's some nice chilled looking sites on the west coast that are non booking which suit us nicely.

I've ordered 70mm drop springs that I think will give 60/65 drop on the multivan and should still have good clearance under the van. I'm not sure if it's still got it's original 30mm springs on there, maybe on the front but the back seems really high. Front is 70mm from arch to tyre, rear is 100mm from arch to tyre which would tally up with standard rear springs.

Cable shifts now on the back burner, but I've spotted Iveco daily gear shifters that look like they could adapt to work and are about £40 on ebay so one of those plus cheap cables could be a winner.

Been looking at lots of lowered vans online to see how they sit and whilst looking i've decided I prefer the look of the van without rear blenders so I'll remove them once I've sorted the rust bubbles they're covering up!

Edited by GavB95 - 04 Aug 14 at 21:32
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 14 at 11:50
Springs arrived this morning, came within 2 days so pleased with the service. Bought them from Motorsport-tools.com for just over £200, brickwerks haven't got stock till end of August, oterwise I'd have bought from them.

I'm now fitting them on the van bit the rears are a ball ache (thought they'd be a piece of piss) problem is that the trailing arms won't drop far enough for the spring to pop out as the driveshaft limits their travel. I've got the spring compressor's on but it won't clear the upper bump stop mount to slide out. Looks like the CVs joints are coming back off to get the driveshaft out of the way.

Edited by GavB95 - 06 Aug 14 at 22:27
Kent Joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 14 at 16:22
Hi Gave nice thread glad to see you are managing to get lots done, I do like a Blue Star
Keith

1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 14 at 22:15
Working on them becomes a bit addictive doesn't it!

I finished fitting the rear springs this afternoon. I took a read of the camber before and after with a magnetic gauge the camber has increased by -0.5 each side and now reads -1.5 degrees. Surprisingly the van has levelled out from front to rear so I've not fitted the fronts. I'm going to wait till I've got the dampers and do it in one go, I'll get a full 4 wheel alignment when that's done.

Camber before...

And after...

Still got good clearance...

Before...

After...

I've noticed some oil has kicked out of the gearbox breather so I'm going to bung some course wire wool/stainless scourer into the breather filter and it will hopefully catch the mist and send it back down the breather tube into the box.

Took it out for a good drive tonight and it goes really nicely. It's a bit limited on the top end (TDI must be good!) but it's a massive step up from what it used to be like. Really chuffed and the missus is really impressed too so I've done something right.

Going to fit a poly gearbox bush tomorrow, sort that gearbox breather and dig out some camping gear.

Edited by GavB95 - 06 Aug 14 at 22:24
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 14 at 19:23
Tried the breather mod today, used half a coarse stainless wire scourer and bunged it into the breather. It's still not stopped it coming out, next plan is to use a length of rigid alloy tube which will keep the breather line vertical, it currently droops over at about 90 degrees so I guess if oil goes up past the bend it can only drip out through the filter.

Fitted the poly gearbox mount too, I killed a few hacksaw blades trying to cut the rubber centre out of the bush and then got annoyed with it. I grabbed a drill and ran that through the rubber all the way round the edge to get it out of the way, that worked a treat.

This gear shift has been giving me jip, struggled a few times for 1st so I'll be looking for a cable shift solution soon. My hand's aching from forcing the selector across the gate to make sure it's got 1st.

A mate popped round this afternoon, he's fitted the ebay boost pin on his van and kept nagging me to do it so we fitted it and he's right, it's mint! It's made a massive difference, it just keeps pulling. :)

He's now telling me to get the governor modded? Will have to read up on that to see what the benefits are? Not sure I want to go too mad modifying the engine though, it's had loving caring owners in the past, I don't want to muck it up! I've got the Intercooler to go on but that might be enough for me.

Edited by GavB95 - 07 Aug 14 at 19:33
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 14 at 22:04
We are now touring around Scotland, the van's been spot on so far. We've had a few quick fixes including a catch tank for the gearbox breather that I've lashed together from a baby wipe tub. It's working though.

We're wild camping tonight on the most Western point of the mainland, looking out over the Isle of Mull... stunning!

We've spotted a good few t3's, 4's and 5's and a cool looking yellow LT on the roads up here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>