The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ Bluestar with flipped Audi box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 16:41
Just found this from when I was looking into the flipped box previously, so the box I'm fitting is a DHW. The ratios are:
DHW3.713.5

Here's a comparison of DHW (on the left) to AAP (on the right) using an online calculator:
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 17:48
that picture showing the engine and box makes me wonder..... top of cv is inline with the cylinder head water outlet Confused that would make one seriously low engine/high gearbox!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 20:34
It does look high from the pic but there's a good 30/40mm from the coolant outlet to the t3 cv joint, the cv adapter/spacers diameter is pretty big compared to t3 joint so looks higher. The Engine bars are going to be 40mm lower than stock too so angles of driveshafts will be ok, dunno if they'll get anywhere near stock t3 angles though, wish I'd measured them before I took the engine out.

If angles are too high I'll consider 50mm springs - clearance permitting... if I can't afford them I'll stick some bags of sand in the back until I've got the funds.

I'm not getting rich off selling the left over mk3 golf bits either. I've just sold a mk3 headlight on ebay for a grand total of 99p and the winner never paid. I can't get shut of the bits.

Anyone want a full 5 door mk3 golf interior with cards and parcel shelf? £40, it'll probably be worth shit loads in 10 years time when there's none left.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 20:12
thats the trouble with the mk3s - they were shit from new! no-one wants em! LOL
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Phantomflanner View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantomflanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 14 at 20:24
Nice ... did this myself to mine.. then lost the AAZ due to a flaw I wasnt aware of.

The crank pulley bolt had a recall I believe, as it can loosen (a stretch bolt) - which mine did.

Wouldnt want you to suffer what I did for the sake of a new bolt.
Bah... AAZ my spotty botty
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 14 at 09:26
The pulley bolt was the new style and I decided to leave it well alone. I might live to regret it but I had visions of knackering it all by trying to get the old one out and also trying to get the new one tight enough!

The engine bay's now looking proper, the engine and box are back in (fitted as a complete unit from under the van using an engine leveling bar to hoist it up). I've measured up for a few new battery cables etc and I had a PAS hose made at Pirtek to connect up onto the pump as the old hose fouled the aux belt. 

Realised that the BrickWerks braided oil return wouldn't work due to new starter position behind the block, now using Mocal rubber oil cooler hose as return line:

I'm now waiting for a few deliveries to connect up the clutch line, starter motor and turbo>inlet. I've opted for a cheap cone type air filter for now just to get it all set up and running. 

I also need to cut down and connect up the gear linkage. Then fingers crossed it will fire up and be back on the road. Big smile

Managed to sell the Mk3 golf interior too for £30... bargain! Had the space back in the van for a week and now there's a half leather 205 interior in there plus a few boxes of Mk3 golf shite! Once the van's done I need to fit the seats in the Pug and run the Golf stuff to the tip! LOL

Edited by GavB95 - 27 Jun 14 at 11:29
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 14 at 13:14
It lives! Spent yesterday finishing all the engine connections and double checking everything and it jumped into life after bit of fetteling :)

Had to adjust Baxters pump arm to get it to rev, must've moved the spindle when I fitted it. Now revs nicely and idles at about 850/900rpm on the gauge.

Clearnace from LDA to level of engine lid/load area after 40mm drop on the engine bars:

I've chucked some cooling system cleaner in so will drop that out and flush the system before refilling with g12. 

Final 2 jobs are connecting the clutch hose > slave, waiting for the flaring kit to turn up in the post and cut down and weld the bobbin on the linkage for the adapter. Bit worried about getting that bit wrong but reckon if I get the missus in the cab with the selector central in the gate then I cut at the point the linkage meets. That's this afternoons job. :)

I haven't plumbed the oil cooler in yet either, want to get correct point on dipstick for 4.5litres before I add the cooler in.

Nearly there now, can't wait to get back out and see how it goes with the new gearing and turbo in the back. :)

Edited by GavB95 - 27 Jun 14 at 11:33
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 14 at 17:34
At some point change that crankshaft pulley bolt. Next timing belt or something. Mine had a later bolt so I left it and then it snapped writing off my valves and camshaft. I'm going to replace the bolt every timing belt from now on. You can make a crank gear holding tool pretty quickly from a decent piece of steel and then it's a piece of piss to change them. They are not that tight once you can hold the gear properly and for the piece of mind I'd say do it. Pain in the arse when they work loose or snap. And they do.
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 14 at 17:36
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/help-crank-pulley-bolt-snapped-aaz_topic84970.html?KW=

To help you sleep ;)
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 14 at 20:52
Cheers bud! I saw your posts before and was worried about mine, I didn't feel that confident at the time but now I've got it all back together and running I reckon I can tackle it. Might give it a few months before I do it though.

So the linkage is now on, just need the clutch line and then we're good to test it.
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 14 at 12:06
The brake pipe flaring kit turned up yesterday so last night I knocked up a clutch line and bled the slave cylinder. Couldn't resist the urge to go for a spin so took it down the drive and up the lane. Only got up to 2nd but it felt good! Span it round in the playing field car park and took it back up the drive only to find out that I can't get reverse. Embarrassed

I didn't test it as I was backed up to the shed when I went out. Also realised I haven't wired in the reverse light switch so that's this evenings job. I think I need to adjust the position on the spline section of the linkage, where it comes out behind the tank. I currently have 6 forward gears ... I think I'm getting 1,2,3,4 as normal and then where 5 and R should be is still 3 and 4 as there's not enough rotation on the selector shaft.

Happy though, it felt nice giving it a boot down the lane. Big smile

Also got a few other jobs to do, wipers keep coming loose on the spindles, I think some parts are missing where they pass through the front panel so they're not fixed down firmly. Fuse 13 got hot when i bled the cooling system with fan on full, so possibly needs a new heater motor and a heater cables bent so that needs replacing. If I can get the gears sorted I'll pull the dash this weekend.

I'm also waiting on a few little bits to fix niggles I'd lived with before the van came off the road too, such as a broken mechanism on the electric mirror which made the glass wobble like mad at speed, I found a replacement mech on german ebay for £40.

timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 14 at 20:40
just going back to your speed calculator. An AAP box and standard tyres, 2798rpm at 71mph? I'm scratching my head at that one. Doesn't ring true. Also, which car is the donor for the flipped box. That gearing is pretty much 6 speed pd territory. 

Nice work by the way! Smile
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 14 at 21:19
Originally posted by timmythedog timmythedog wrote:

just going back to your speed calculator. An AAP box and standard tyres, 2798rpm at 71mph? I'm scratching my head at that one. Doesn't ring true. Also, which car is the donor for the flipped box. That gearing is pretty much 6 speed pd territory. 

Nice work by the way! Smile

That can't be right, I'm running a 3h with 0.70 5th and huge rear tyres and mines just under 2900 at 70 iirc
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 14 at 22:43
Dunno if those calculations are right to be honest, took AAP specs off the rjes site and got the audi box ratios(originally from an Audi a4 20vt) from VWNerds thread on the flipped box, the rest of the maths relied on the website! Either way, it's in the van now so once I get the gears right I'll give some proper figures.

Edited by GavB95 - 27 Jun 14 at 22:46
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 14 at 22:52
think the calculator has got it wrong. You won't have any gearing issues though that's for sure. That's long gearing. should be a gearbox for life that.Thumbs Up
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 14 at 21:06
Cheers bud.

Mirror adjuster plate turned up today so bunged that on and then got the reverse lights working. Then tried, tried and tried some more to get the selector to engage reverse. It selects by hand under the van but there's too much slop in the union from the linkage rod to the adapter so it won't select it from the cab. Had a cock up whilst fucking about under the van and have cracked the main brake line where it meets the T junction for the rear wheels. Bit pissed off with myself!

Packed it up for tonight, going to take the gear selector adapter off the box tomorrow and see if I can cross drill the union and stick a bolt through, the grub screw it's designed with doesn't bite on the linkage rod enough. I'll fix the brake pipe whilst it's off.

GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 14 at 10:51
The brakes turned into a ball ache of a job, one bleed nipple sheared on the rear cylinder so I've torn both drums down, turns out they were due a rebuild anyway. The offside cylinder was weeping and the shoes had cracks in the linings.

That's more money being thrown at the van, proper money pit! Ordered new hand brake cables, rear shoes, a fitting kit and cylinders. Got nowhere with the selector, need to leave that off till I know the brake line union I've made is good. If there's one job I dislike it's messing with brake lines. 

So, i've took 1 step forward and it feels like 3 steps back. Glad I drove it the other day, I know it's going to be worth it when it's done. 
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 14 at 21:30
Rebuilt the brakes today and picked up a 5 speed Boxster gearbox, I want the gearshift to be right so I'm going for the cable set up. Got a very good deal on the gearbox which came with porsche cables and selector...£45 for the lot. :)

Spoke to Mazz and MV are now using cable craft for their set-up as is Tim at UE, will have a ring around on Monday to see who can sort me out.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 14 at 21:32
Originally posted by GavB95 GavB95 wrote:

Spoke to Mazz and MV are now using cable craft for their set-up as is Tim at UE, will have a ring around on Monday to see who can sort me out.

thanks to Steve (fufflenarnia) + Fatboy + Rowlsey....
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 14 at 21:43
Yes yes yes! Cheers lads.    

I went to MV expecting them to have a set up using original gear lever like shown in the thread on Keith's PD but turns out it wasn't 100% so they are now using the pioneers set-up

Edited by GavB95 - 05 Jul 14 at 21:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>