The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 88' Doka 'stalling'? no idea what the problem is
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

88' Doka 'stalling'? no idea what the problem is

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doka_time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 17 at 10:31
I am sorry to say I am at my last straw.  It is still losing power unexpectedly after adding the diesel additive (to get rid of possible water in the tank).  I changed another fuel line clamp and still losing power.  I think I will just take it to a mechanic - unfortunately my french (I am currently living in France) is not the best, so I am skeptical on how that will go ...

Here are a few more symptoms ... maybe someone can help?

1. I have found that the occurrences of losing horsepower are rare when I have a full tank of diesel. (but they still do occur, but much less frequently)

2. As I am driving, if I feel horsepower loss, I can turn off the engine for about 10 seconds and turn it back on, and power is back.

any ideas?  ... thanks
Doka_time View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doka_time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 17 at 10:06
Hi again,

Well, the chemical I put in didn't work - still losing power (I mean horsepower not electrical power) while driving ... at random times (fast, slow, warmed up). 

What I have been doing now is simply shutting it down (turning off with the keys) and coast in neutral for about 20 seconds, then I turn it back on and the problem is gone - horsepower is back ... for a while.  The problem is getting worse - once it starts happening (about 10 minutes after starting to drive) it will occur every 5 minutes or so - ... but then it might go away for a while. so odd.

I have also changed the some of the fuel line clips (the ones I could get to).  Specifically the ones between the fuel filter and pump.

Any ideas?

About to just hand it over to a mechanic ... which should be fun since my french is bad.
jaber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 17 at 18:31
Have you drained the tank, still sound like water to me
Steve
take yer time there's a second prize
Doka_time View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doka_time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 17 at 15:45
Ok all,  I took it to the mechanic today - mentioned possible water in the tank - so he will probably drain the tank ... (thanks Jaber).

I will try to be a good internet citizen and report here what he comes back with.
Doka_time View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doka_time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 17 at 13:15
Hi again all,

Just for the sake of closure I thought I would share the ultimate outcome:

As I have said above, I 'gave up' and took it to the mechanic.  He immediately looked at the fuel line hoses.  He changed some hoses and took it for a test drive: same problem!  Then (I am told) on the side of the highway he changed the fuel filter - and voila (as the french say).  The problem is GONE!

After returning, he inspected the hoses that he replaced earlier, and sure enough, the inside of the hoses were cracked and brittle - apparently allowing bits into the fuel line.  His theory is that those bits got into the fuel filter and clogged it.

Make sense? I'm happy with my doka back in working order.

Now, we return to Canada in a month ... anyone in the south of France wanna buy a Doka? Cry
jaber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 17 at 16:10
Exellent glad you got sorted

Steve👍
take yer time there's a second prize
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12