The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

87 Caravelle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobblers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87 Caravelle
    Posted: 13 Apr 17 at 10:21
Well with my van up for sale because I never used it, what better to do than buy another? This one is fairly rough looking so I'm a bit less worried about leaving it on the street and I might actually use it (the other is parked 20 miles away in my mums garage)

It came up for sale through a bloke I'm friends with on Facebook. Apparently it was owned by one of the VW magazines which was bought out and came as part of the assets. It's generally a solid van, could do with a tailgate and a back arch though. It was all in it's original paint until some complete fannies painted it up like the mystery machine. Then sanded it all off leaving the original paint pretty buggered.
Eventually I will probably end up getting it painted, but for now I'm just going to mechanically sort it all out, hopefully it'll replace my Abarth 500 as a daily since I only use it once or twice a week anyway.

Much to my amazement, it's got OE PAS, and it's brilliant. The auto box is nice too. The engine has a horrible sticky lifter so I've got a couple of tins of lifter treatment in the oil but I might end up taking it to get some new ones fitted. Apparently the engine was new 18k ago though but we all know how much that means...

Anyway, other than clacking it's bollocks off like a car on GTA2 thats about to explode,  it drives really well and even passed it's MOT without any advisories.

I'm just about to go and run through the wiring and sort out the iffy idle, make sure the timing is set correct and put a new thermostat in it because it can get a bit hot. I'm considering swapping the mirrors and headlamps to basic ones though as I'm quite ansty about them being robbed.

Anyway if anyone knows of a reasonable tailgate for reasonable money, some fuel tank straps or a left hand blue armrest then let me know! 

Here's my other van
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172621213790?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
brick-yard discount available
bobby-gg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobby-gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 17 at 12:54
It was classic monthly who had it, they ran quite an interesting series of articles about it whilst they sorted it out and I'm sure it was a caravelle GL with all the options when new

cobblers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobblers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 17 at 15:07
Aaah well spotted, I might see if I can get a copy of that.

They didn't do a very good job with the cooling!
I split these on the advice of the MOT tester saying it was leaking. Glad I did now!

Once my other van goes I'll get a set of stainless pipes ordered. I've pulled the inserts out for now because they were totally paggered, I know it's not ideal but I won't be going far and it's only a second vehicle anyway. I've just acid flushed the radiator and fitted a new thermostat - need to get it bled up and I'll see if it's any better than it was.  I might even put a radiator on it, but this one wasn't silted up and it's not leaking or anything but the frame isn't the best.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 17 at 17:34
Chap on ebay by me has a set of straps for a 10er can always pass them on if he won't post....
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
cobblers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobblers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 17 at 21:22
Cheers mate, I might just see if I can straighten these for now.

Anyway spent half the day pottering about on this.
Put a new thermostat in, flushed the rad out etc etc and as a result it seems to run even hotter than before.
I didn't get it bled up properly though so I'll reserve judgement - the gauge was 3/4 of the way up, with the inlet pipe to the thermostat housing showing 92c. I'm not entirely convinced on the accuracy of the temp sender, so I reckon I might chuck another on.

I also reset the base timing as it was way too advanced - something like 20degrees BTDC instead of 5, then I went round and reset the idle etc. Needs more investigating as the ICSV makes no difference to anything.
Considering how far out the timing was, it seems to run just about the same really, but I've only been round the block.
cobblers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobblers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 17 at 15:59
Did 120 miles over the last couple of days. The van isn't overheating - the problem is the temp sensor. It drives lovely apart from squeaky wishbones and a faulty idle air control box.

It also still has a noisy lifter even after two bottles of "I can't believe it's not tappets" so I'm just considering whether I'll be able to do the job properly on my back at the side of the road or whether to take it up to my pal and pay him.

From what I gather I:

Remove rocker cover
Identify dead lifter as the one with loads of play
Remove rockers and pushrod
Abuse the pushrod tube out
Replace dodgy lifter using magnets and swearing
Fit telescopic sprung pushrod tube
Refit everything and set adjuster to 1.5 turns after "touching"

If that's it then I reckon it's doable. Does the oil need draining?

cobblers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobblers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 17 at 16:59
Well I've just done the lifters. It wasn't a bad job really, Unfortunately the ones that came out weren't collapsed like I had thought, and with the new ones fitted and adjusted up to two turns, the van is still making an awful noise (it's much worse when driving)

18k mile recon engine knackered then.
Looks like I need to save up for a new engine. Bugger!
Seems Elite and TES are £1500-£1800 for another recon, but both with varying reports of quality.

Anyone know of a decent original DJ for sale?

Post Reply Post Reply