FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed7x15 Merc 5 Spokes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7x15 Merc 5 Spokes
    Posted: 19 May 07 at 16:03

I've saved a set of merc 5 spokes from the scrappies and hoped for a bit of advice please!

They were on a 190 and have 5 broad square spokes and should look good if they'll fit. I don't want to start machining and shot blasting if its a waste of time!!

They have a ET28 offset 12mm bolt holes and about 65mm bore.

Are they likely to fit with that offset if the holes are drilled? What tyre size and spec should I go for on a camper (high top and likely loaded with the usual junk).

Will the size allow for a bit of lowering from standard height?

Many thanks,

Mike.

SimonH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 07 at 13:33

Mike

The wheels sound good! Your offset is a little outside the VW spec (30 - 39mm) but just by a couple of mm so should be fine. It might just make the steering a little heavier. No spacers needed.

The centre bore is easily big enough to clear the (59.2mm) front greasecaps so no prob there.

I've no experience of drilling out holes (I'm assuming you want to widen each hole a little), so can't help you with that one.

I'd imagine tyre profile would be 50 or 60, depending on the width of tyre the actual fitted. There are lots of tables available to ensure you keep the same rolling radius. It's worth noting though that T3s need a tyre with a load rating of at least 92.

Lowering won't be a prob if the rolling radius is kept the same. Most people suggest a max comfortable drop of 45mm, but it's a free country!

Good luck!

Simon

Edited by SimonH
Simon
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 07 at 16:02

just get a 14.5mm drill and drill the holes out.. easy to do..

et 28 will be just right if the wheels are 7x15

in 7x15 eT3 is perfect for front suspension clearence. only problem can be on the shape of the back of the rim edge.. but should be ok.. at most you will need a 3mm spacer..if that..

remember to get stick on weights when tyres are fitted as knock on ones may catch..

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
CycloneMike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 07 at 07:19

Cheers, I took a front wheel off and offered up an alloy to the hub and it fitted.

After all I have rear about merc wheels, I was amazed that the bolt holes were big enough (about 15mm) and they went straight on with a couple of bolts borrowed of My Bora.

There are no tryes on these wheels but I can't see anything they will contact with. I did have to knock off a rim weight on the back to clear the suspension, then it ran free with no problem.

I'll just need to get them painted and find some kind of domed centre cap to cover the hub ends.

Post Reply Post Reply