The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6 cyl Petrol Connecting rod bolts (old type)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 cyl Petrol Connecting rod bolts (old type)
    Posted: 07 Jan 18 at 16:01
Having a read through the book in preparation for putting the engine back together, I notice that my connecting rod bolts are the old type with the splined shank. I'm having issues figuring out what torque setting to use on them. Being the old type, the book leads me to believe that they are not stretch bolts and so i can reuse them but it doesnt seem to offer a specific torque for the old type with the splined shank. 

Does anyone know what torque these should be done up to?

I might be missing it somewhere but thought i'd ask if anybody had any experience with these.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 18 at 02:07
Connecting rod bolts should always be replaced!
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 18 at 14:39
Ah OK well thanks for your advice. The reason i asked was mainly because the haynes manual shows two kinds of bolt. Old style with splined shank and new style without splines. New type bolts are listed as 22foot pounds plus a further 180 degrees. Ive just found a note in the 2.0ltr section (though mine is the 2.4) that makes reference to the old type bolts requiring a torque of 44 foot pounds and mentions that they can be reused where the new type bolts can't. Now though, I'm questioning whether to ignore the haynes and opt for new bolts.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
 Post Reply Post Reply