The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.5 lt 109 white/blue smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.5 lt 109 white/blue smoke
    Posted: 21 Nov 10 at 14:33

2005 lt 2.5 tdi 137k on cold mornings van is hard to start stuters a bit  the van also blows whitish blue smoke out don’t seam to be using any oil is the smoke due to bad glow plugs as van runs rough for a few minutes when cold

T5.1 transporter shuttle LWB 2.0 TDI 140
green man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 10 at 22:41
Hi, can me tell if you found the trouble with your engine, I have a 2005 Lt & it has started doing exactly the same thing,maybe a timing problem?
anilkumar89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 10 at 01:33

the timing belt was done 30k ago new turbo and intercoler 20k ago have spoken to a mechanic and hes advised me to change the glow plugs van  as the struggles to start when cold outside he says smoke is due to incomplete burn dose your van smell when started from cold I'm going to replace the plugs in the next few days because they haven't been changed van runs fine when warmed up no smoke and runs very smooth will let you know how i get on

thanks   
green man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 10 at 19:15
Yes to all of the above,I had one glow plug down.I changed the whole set,it made no difference! I think it has got to do with pump timing retardation when cold.The water outlet housing has two temp senders,one for the gauge & one to tell the electronics how cold the engine is for starting & running.This the all feeds back to the injection pump.Many tractor engines use this system & when it goes wrong it gives these symptoms.This is my best guess.I have booked my van in with our local VW centre to let them have a look.Will keep you posted.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 11:46
ok thanks and just a quick update glow plugs changed starts a lot better but still runs a bit rough a still smokes when cold so look likes the timing is incorect do you need vagom to corect the timeng ?    

Edited by anilkumar89 - 29 Nov 10 at 11:51
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 10 at 18:00

@ Green man have you maneged to sort your problem out?

bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 10 at 20:57
Hey mine is doing the same thing now.  I had the diesel pump replaced and it started doing this on startup, ran sweet as before.  The plugs have all been replaced.  Ill get to the bottom of it when it gets warmer, but i think it is the cold start, it may not may have been put back together properly
1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
rcthethird View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcthethird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 10 at 22:00
Sounds like you need to change the filter and drain water trap.
green man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 10 at 16:57
Well, the story continues, having booked into our local vw agent,they had it for three days.They scratched their heads,& got to the conclusion that the timing maybe out! So they re-timed the injection pump,yes you do need to plug into the ecu to dynamically time the pump as the engine is running.
 However, despite their efforts it still has the same problem.So I have gone down another route,I have fitted an engine coolant heater,plug it in for half an hour before leaving & when started the engine starts just like when warm,so it does prove it is temp related & not a fuel problem at least, & my heater works as soon as I start up! Nice & warm. I have now managed to locate a service manual on e-bay so fingers crossed I can suss out the real cause.
green man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 10 at 17:06
I think you will find the cold start devices on the 2.5 & 2.4 differ.The old type injection pump (2.4)is all mechanical with a timing advance knob or lever,the 2.5 has an electronic pump with injector sensor & position sensors etc.Maybe it is the cold start on your 2.4,but I doubt it would be the same fault on my 2.5,but I am all ears if you can tell me more.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 10 at 11:56
Thanks for this infomation van still the same looks like im going to have to get vagcom on it then
phastazphuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phastazphuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 10 at 15:04
I to have the same problem with a 2.5.So far i have done the gloplugs checked the gloplug relay changed fuel and air filter allso the battery and starter motor and its still the same,
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 10 at 13:13
phastazphuk what year is your van?
phastazphuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phastazphuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 17:52
2005 lt35 109
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 17:25

seams like this is a comon problem  on 2005 2.5 tdi 109s then do ypu only get the smoke when the van is cold?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 11 at 20:49
i still havent got round to sort this problem anyone found a solution to this problem yet
jimbo1962 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 11 at 20:30
surely the "smoke " is vaporised, unburnt fuel being pumped out the exhaust?
 Post Reply Post Reply