The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2008 transporter side door derailing... HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mscaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2008 transporter side door derailing... HELP!
    Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 11:34
Hi all

Hope Ive posted this in the right place.. Im currently travelling through Spain in a 2008 transporter LWB. Unfortunately I dont speak too much spanish so Im not sure what to do about the problem with the side door we are experiencing (and its wet here at the moment so door issues are not good!). Im even thinking of phoning a VW dealership in the UK out of desperation.

Basically, when we try to side the door closed, its bouncing back off the latch. We suspect the door is for some reason sitting slightly lower than it should be? From the outside we manage as you can sort of "lift" it with a hand on the back edge as you shut it.

Shutting from the inside is pretty much impossible. Slamming the door harder simply causes derailing of the top roller.

Have tried cleaning out the bottom track- which is admitted quite dirty due to sand and travelling - Ive done my best to clear and put new grease to no avail.

Bottom rollers looks intact, but may be seized up.

Any ideas? Is this bottom part replaceable/cheap?

We also wondered if the door simply needs to be adjusted higher? Can you do it yourself?

Thanks Caz

orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 18:51
Anyone help?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 21:38

Hi Mscaz,  Are you sure the door is actuallly derailing?  I only ask that because your description of 'bouncing off the latch' fits a lock problem better.  If you look at the 'Side door not unlocking' thread you can use that basic test to check that your lock is working.  If the door is clearly derailing on an '08 van surely you can just find a Spanish dealer and demonstate the problem to them with no Spanish needed. Smile  I know what it's like being stuck with a problem miles from home so if you need any info looked up (like vw dealers in Spain) just post here.   

2004 2.5 174
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 22:16
I've been here since T5's joined the Brick-Yard and I don't think I've ever read a post relating to the side door falling off its runners. A 1st I think.

Edited by Berisford - 12 Nov 08 at 22:17
MultiplexMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MultiplexMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 23:34
Caz,

I have not had this problem with my T5 but have seen similar symptoms on other vans (different makes & models).

1. Check that the latch is actually aligned.  Get someone inside as you push the door slowly into the closed position.  Pretty straight forward and you should have "witness" marks on the latch contacts if all is not well.

2. The door lock mechanism may be sticking in the open position.  You slam it shut and it simply bounces back open.  I've had this happen to me several times.  The inside plastic release can sometimes stick so make sure it is free and loose. 

Check operation to ensure it is not something else in the locking/latching mechanism.

Actual derailment would be unlikely...

Cheers, MM

Edited by MultiplexMan - 12 Nov 08 at 23:36
 Post Reply Post Reply