The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2006 LT35 keeps going through MAF sensors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlestown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2006 LT35 keeps going through MAF sensors
    Posted: 26 May 11 at 10:19

I have an lt35 0n an 06 plate it lost all power a while back and went completely flat we changed the mass airflow sensor and it cured it for about a 2weeks then it did the same thing again so we sent the sensor back as faulty and put a new 1 on and again it cured it for about a 2weeksConfused and happened again so we sent that back and got a genuine maf sensor which cured the fault again but has since gone down again. we have checked the turbo and waste gate and all is ok egr valve is ok replaced boost pressure sensors and pressure regulating valve on top of rocker cover and nothing has made a difference so we`r back to maf sensor again oh forgot to mention, we did code read and fault code was maf sensor every time does any 1 no why it would keep goin through maf sensors

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 10:28
When was the air filter last changed?

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 10:48
No it's ok there's no need to stay around and thank me for answering your first post(cry for help) on the forum you've only just joined. Ermm

Edited by Steve B - 26 May 11 at 10:49
charlestown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlestown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 12:19
hi sorry wasnt expecting reply so soon we have just replaced it but before that idont no
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 12:25
Well the MAF by their name and design depend on clean,dry air so any contamination from the intake side is going cause problems eventually.

Have you tried cleaning the genuine MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner....do NOT touch the sensor wire with anything but the contact cleaner!
I ask this as you know it was working ok so if cleaned and it works perfectly after cleaning you know it's an air intake problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlestown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 12:26
got new maf sensor now just compared resistance and voltage readings compared ton old 1 and looks like something is blowing them ecu possibly??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlestown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 12:27

yes tried cleaning made no difference

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 12:51
Originally posted by charlestown charlestown wrote:

just compared resistance and voltage readings compared ton old 1 and looks like something is blowing them ecu possibly??

Mmm weird!

Not sure but if the MAF is relay controlled that could be at fault or even the MAP sensor?

Looks like it's auto electrician time.

Did you use VAG-COM to read the faults or just a hand held code reader as if it's the latter it could be a good idea to get the codes read properly to see what's actually happening to the power to the MAF?
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 13:04
I've just done a quick Google for similar MAF faults and someone had a similar problem(different vehicle though) where he'd gone through 4 MAF sensors and it turned out to be a dodgy Lambda sensor....maybe the same on yours,maybe not?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlestown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 16:10

code readwith launch put this sensor on drives perfect the pressure regulating valve on the rocker was dragging oil into air system hoping it was just contamination that burnt it out also i was told that the turbo can give off an aluminum myst which will burn it out

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 16:16
Hopefully it was just oil vapour causing the fault....probably a good time to the EGR delete so it's not dragging in hot air mixed with oil?
road_fool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote road_fool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 10:59

Hello,

Sorry to revive old thread,

Same van (2006 LT35 2.5TDI 109),
Same problems so very interested in this fix:

"code readwith launch put this sensor on drives perfect the pressure regulating valve on the rocker was dragging oil into air system hoping it was just contamination that burnt it out also i was told that the turbo can give off an aluminum myst which will burn it out"

Could you specifc on: pressure regulating valve on the rocker please?

I only have limited mechanical knowledge so am learning fast from my own research.

Do you mean the vacuum solenoid on the EGR valve? (Image attached)

I don't have access to fault code reader atm, hoping to fix lack of power and turbo lag with MAF clean but I suspect clogged MAF is only a symptom of this problem.

Cheers for any help,

PAUL

2006 LT35 2.5TDI 109ps
Adventure Machine
 Post Reply Post Reply