The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.6I just die

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.6I just die
    Posted: 31 Aug 14 at 20:53
On Tuesday after work I do a few stops, pick-up the kids, drop some of, pick them later up again. From work to home I stop about 5 times were I restart the bus. Getting home about 18H30,leave it outside as I must pick-up my daughter at 20H00. At 19H45 go to the bus, unlock it with the remote, try to start it, starter swing the motor but it does not start, battle a bit with it, pressing the remote it start but sounds if it is running on only two or three pistons, no smoke and does not idle.

Get it inside, leave it, take my other vehicle fetch the kid, come back, try again no luck. Try it the next morning again swings but does not start.

Today, Sunday,  I first try it again no luck, Test the fuel pump pressure -- 4 bar, check spark -- good, remove cambelt cover, still on its marks and also the rotor point to the mark on the distributor, get pulses at two injectors, did not test the all. Put on timing light and it flashes at the timing marks. Test voltage at map sensor (altitude sensor) -- 5V input and 3.8V output with ignition just on, do not know if it is right. Also test the coolant sensor ohms -- 2500 ohms.

Did not test compression, gauge broken. Now I can get it starting if I press the accelerator, it runs very badly and do not idle and you have to crank it long before it "start".

Any ideas.

Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 14 at 13:54
Can't be of much help here as I have no experience of the 2.6 setup, but I do know that there has been talk on here of bad or dirty connections to the ecu. Perhaps that may be your problem?
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 14 at 17:39
Make sure your earths are good and also check for any air leaks on the inlet.
Merlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 14 at 21:39
Thanks, will check it out.
Merlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 14 at 18:37
Did some more checking, eventually got hold of a compression tester. NR 3 cylinder no compression, remove tappet cover and found the inlet valve in an open position, suspect the valve seat come out.
Did it about 100 000km back also. Will remove the head tomorrow.    
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 08:04
thats a buggerAngry
Merlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 20:14
Well head is off, as suspected NR. 3 Inlet valve seat come out and is keeping the valve open.
Now to the engineering to fix.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 20:27
where abouts are you?
Merlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 20:30
Pretoria, South Africa
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 20:35
used to live in Maritzburg Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply