The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.1 coolant question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Carat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.1 coolant question
    Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 21:33
A week ago I asked my mechanic to drop the coolant, flush the system and refill with the 8 litres of purple G13 that I supplied. When I picked the van up the header tank wasn’t brimming so I topped it up. I checked it a couple of days later and again it needed topping up. Today was the same so I thought maybe it had air in the system so I undid the bleed valve on the rad. Sure enough, some hissing, bubbles and then finally a constant flow of water. I say water and not coolant because it was clear, had no smell or taste to it. The liquid in my header tank is of a light brown colour. I’m no mechanic but I would have thought that 8 litres of purple in a 50/50 mix would be visible in a refilled system.
Would 8 litres of water dilute the coolant out of colour?
Thanks. Gareth.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 17 at 12:13
yes but if you have an air lock it wont travel through the system

UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Jasper Carat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Carat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 17 at 13:47
Thanks Rowlesy. Any idea why the header tank contents would be brown if the system had supposedly been flushed?
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 17 at 21:18
just because it flushed doesnt mean it clean. old water is a bastard to clean old antifreeze is even worse especially if its been in for years without regular change
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply