The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Westy T3 Electric Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowskeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 Westy T3 Electric Questions
    Posted: 02 Jun 08 at 13:57
Really new to this but not to old VW's

I have now had my 1980 Westy a few months and thought it a good idea to test it out in camping conditions, use the awning a the electrical hook up.

Plugged the hook up on the outside of the van, and plugged a small light light into the the 13am socket and all worked fine.

Next up the fridge, found some switches on the dash next to the steering wheel, pulled one of these out and the fridge went on. Next to this switch there is a red toggle switch, what does that do? when activated i can hear a clicking noise comong from the fridge/hob.

I checked round the van an hour latter and found the esbacher heater under the the rear seat was red hot, allthough not on. it usally works fine not connected to mains. My van is an import from Germany, is the voltage too high in the UK for it to work.

Also, a general question. When conected to the mains will there be any drain on either the leisure battery or auto battery?

Sorry for the noobie questions but the van does not have the instruction book. Rolling%20Eyes

Many thanks
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 08 at 19:17
That's not the Eber, that's the inbuilt battery charger.

The fridge WILL run on 12 volts when the mains is plugged in because it tricks the split charge relay into thinking there is a load from the alternator.  When on mains, the leisure battery AND the mains battery are both charged.

BTW, which dash???
My van is better known in these parts than I am
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 08 at 20:05
It would be a good idea to check if the mains hook-up is routed through an RCD breaker before it goes to the rest of the van electrics.  Later ones definitely are, mine (81 Joker, imported in 1999 from Germany) did not.  It is easy enough to sort out, but can be fairly fatal if not done.
The mains connectors on the later ones are the (blue) IEC round 3 pin connectors, the early ones use something like a Shuko (like a European mains plug).  This is also fairly easy to change - if you don't like mains wiring, an caravan electrician can do it in no time.
My van is better known in these parts than I am
 Post Reply Post Reply