The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1980 westy joker water tank gauge black wire help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1980 westy joker water tank gauge black wire help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 westy joker water tank gauge black wire help
    Posted: 06 Jun 09 at 14:33
should the  black wire that connects to the lowest point on the fresh water tank be live cause i thought it was an earth wire? mine reads 3 volts. reason i ask is because filled the tank up went camping turned tap on and no waterCry lowest red light is lit up on the control panel. tested pump and tap switch both work fine. disconected black wire on water tank gauge thats reading 3 volts, put a wire in its place and ground to earth top green light on control panel lights up but still no power going to pump or tap. disconected contol panel put white live wire from panel switch to yellow pump wire, turn tap on i have water.

I tested the two black earth wires from the conector plug on the buzzing black box i get 3 volts here to (i understand one of these wires connects to the water tank gauge earth). This has packed up now to. Everything worked fine last time we camped any one got any ideas whats gone wrong.

van is a 1980 reg built 79 westy joker with inline water pump under the sink not in the tank. 
Thanks

Paul

Edited by moogster - 06 Jun 09 at 14:39
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 09 at 18:48
VW earths are brown if I remember correctly and I would not expect to find three volts on anything - let alone an earth, except maybe on an LED anode feed.

What happens if the engine is running or the van is on mains hook-up?

The pump is fed from the switched live on the water tank indicator panel via the tap switvh . If the panel switch isn't on, the pump does not work.  If the regulator gets hot, the pump does not work.  Switch cleaner does help, and switching the tap on and then flipping the control-panel off and then on again frequently clears the issue (does on my 81 Westy anyway).
My van is better known in these parts than I am
moogster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 09 at 09:49

Thanks for the reply the wiring chart i have in the early joker book is different to the one on the link on this forum.  I know the tap should only work when the switch is switched on on the control panel.  Just wondered if anybody could check to see if there is a volatage reading on the black wire which is the lowest terminal on the gauage on the side of the fresh water tank, that according to my wiring diagram should be the earth . If i remove this black wire and put a wire on the terminal and touch it to the body work the green light on the water level meter on the control panel lights up, draining the water the lights go down yellow onto red. But the tap is still not working unless I bypass the system completely.

Andrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 09 at 17:26
Had exactly the same problem, indeed the black wire should have a lower voltage on it as it contributes to the level indicators.  If the switch is ok then the regulator is up the creek as it is on mine.  Couldn't find a new panel with LED's so I've bypassed the whole thing.  Water tank is usually visible so I'm never in doubt as to how much water there is.
Andrew in Norway
+4790198654
andrew@domkantor.no
moogster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 15:59

Thanks Andrew is there a part/ serial number on the regulator on yours? as the number on mine is not clear enough to read. The electric wizard at my work is going to try fix it, if it works i will let you know and send the part over to you to fix yours if you want.

johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 22:33
Doesn't Gunzl do the panel?
My van is better known in these parts than I am
Andrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 09 at 07:40
No, Günzl haven't got it.  Will look later today and see if there's a number on the part concerned.
Andrew in Norway
+4790198654
andrew@domkantor.no
moogster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 09 at 11:22

ITS WORKING Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply