The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9 tdi camper, going some funny colours!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

i had a 174 T5 you know..or was it a T4?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 19:23
Ahh! haaaa! see he has got  tools.Thumbs Up
Backing Britain -- Use as much fuel as I can
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 10 at 14:19
More fiddling today, all fluids changed bar brake fluid, i will do that when i next change the pads. Obviously that means the rad and plumbing is back on, i've been looking at the intercooler pipework, the tdi manifold to intercooler pipe will remain unchanged and in the original position, the other side of the intercooler will come down the cambelt side of the engine. Got to order some hoses now.

Yeah my tool count now includes hammer chisel and torque wrench!
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

i had a 174 T5 you know..or was it a T4?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 10 at 16:46
Hi Matt, well done worked hard on that -- try www.siliconhoses.co.uk
Backing Britain -- Use as much fuel as I can
AggieT4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggieT4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 10 at 22:21
Good work fella i dont come here often but stumbled upon this thread by chance,bit late in the thread now for advice but for the next tdi convertors or if you wanna take a step backwards-the clutch on the 1z motor is 228mm diameter the same as the 2.4 and 2.5tdi and also by chance the same as the 2.8/2.9 VR6 engines,so you can fit the clutch from the VR6 as an upgrade to the tdi unit.The splines in all the 02B T4 gearbox's are the same and so will take the VR6 clutch also (unless the 5 cylinder has the dual mess flywheel,this can be replaced with a solid flywheel from a pre 98 2.4 and the VR6 clutch used).There are many uprated VR6 clutch's available as a further upgrade if your going to tune your motor but my VR6 clutch is holding 140bhp and 230ftlb torque and still holding 2 ton of van without slippage.
The turbo from the ABL motor is a garret T15 the same as the 1z (unless its fitted with a KKK) and the cartridge can be swapped into either housing.The ABL turbo and manifold can be fitted to the 1z motor with a bit of die grinding near the egr blanking plate for clearance,doing it this way means you can use the same exhaust and air intake pipes and makes the conversion easier.

Nice work on the downpipe best of luck with the wires and enjoy your TDI when its up and running,im sure you will wish you had done it years ago!
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 11:51
Cheers Aggie, i was finding it difficult to get info on clutch splines and sizes, what i did get seemed to contradict everything elseDead The tdi unit is 228mm so it's an upgrade of sorts.
For me it was just as easy (well not really!Embarrassed) to use the 1z manifolds,i was making my own exhaust, the inlet is larger bore and facing the right way for me and it keeps the turbo further away from the inlet. Plus i can flog on my abl stuff!

This morning i have been fiddling around with the accelerator pedal, and i fitted my downpipe. Ran it up for a little bit as well, it doesn't like it with no induction pipework!
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 17:51
Cheers for the pics of relays ,whats the score with the obd connector has the abl got one or do you fit it with the 1z, or is the abl {if it has one } inter faced with the 1z ecu some how.Have you had to do anything with the head regarding the pipe from the header tank .
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 20:25
Obd connector is under the steering cowl, it requires 1 wire swapping over on pin7. i've not done anything on the head, going to park it on a very steep hill to bleed it through, i've not seen any other conversions with anything done there. Plus i'm a bit reluctant to go drilling my head!

light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 19:32
Yes i was reluctant to drill the head on the aaz i put in mine but done it on the advice of others and later noticed that there is a bleed screw on the feed for the heater matrix ,plus the heater matrix is higher than the engine which have made me very sceptical on whether it needed to be done in the first place so i will be interested to See how you get on .Is the wire on pin 7 on the obd coming from the 1z ecu and the others from the stock harness/obd ? was it one of the two wires you said had now home in a earlier post
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 20:16

My van had an immobiliser and the pin 7 wire loops in with that iirc. The tdi one does the same, i soldered the tdi wire to the t4 wire at the connector as the pin on the tdi one is different. So now i have the original and the new, play it safe eh! all other wires to the obd socket are original van ones. I have loads of open connectors around the fusebox area, some of these were not connected on the van god knows about the others so far!

sm4rt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm4rt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 23:42
Just stumbled across this thread and didn't realise the amount of effort and research that goes into swapping to a non-standard engine ... bloody amazing!

Sounds like there's a few of you nutters out there that have already been down this route and I'm sure the additional info helps, even if it's just moral support ... keep it up mallott - I routing for that day it's up and running ... good luck.
Sm4rt

... Flying the flag ...

light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 10 at 12:15

You say that you know have the original and new ,are you referring to immobilisers or obd,s or both .Why i ask is you mentioned selling the abl stuff of ,and the immobiliser on the abl {the box} is matched to the receiver on the back of the pump ,although you can remove them with a bit of messing about{the receiver} it would be much easier for a potential buyer to just swap the box,{thats what i done on the aaz} just a tought .P.s. 1z passats there a lot harder to find than i thought  there either dead or holding there money but the hunt goes on cheers

mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 10 at 15:05
original and new wiring, the connectors for the t4 immob are different to passat, so i just unplugged t4 and plugged in passat, keeping the original loom in place. A 1z golf will do mate, Penbryn over on t4forum has done a simpletons wiring guide for the golf, which i believe should be free to access from the 20th or so.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 10 at 15:59
Simpleton's guide sounds right up my street ,yea i no the golf is the same but liked the idea of the separate loom on the pasat as aposed to separating the lighting loom and what have you with the golf {electricry its all witch craft to me} I've always gone mtdi with one exception and that was afn  a4 into a sj410 of roader but used virtually the complete loom including the fuse box ,it ran fine until it saw water ,ended up mtdi  so want to do it properly this time ,i will take a look on the t4forum cheers
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 10 at 19:48
Still not got my intercoolerAngry 

On a lighter note it was my birthday yesterday and i got a nice pressie

Is nice with the quickshift mod tooSmile

jimmy-james View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy-james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 10 at 18:27
Good work fella, looks really good and i like the custom downpipe. Was your ABL turbo and intake no good for some reason, mine were spot on and it allows use of the standard downpipe which makes it soooo much easier. BTW i have registered your interest for the chip and socket deal on the T4 forum SmileSmileSmile
T4 Addict!
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 10 at 16:36
Abl turbo and intake was fine. I was gonna make my own exhaust anyway so that was not a concern, i figured it might be easier to upgrade turbos at a later date, the turbo is further away from the inlet, so radiated heat will be less onto the inlet, the 1z inlet looked a lot better flow wise than abl, i guessed it would be easier to sell the abl lump with the turbo on.
I agree though it would have been easier to use the abl stuff and i would have definitely have done that if i had a decent exhaust to start with!

Keep me informed on the chip, good value for a proper map vs crappy box!
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 10 at 17:45
Ok so the intercooler finally turned up yesterday, not bad eh!?
Spent this morning getting it fitted up, gonna work gooooood!

It's not finished being plumbed up yet, just ordered the final bits of hosework i need, you can just make out the slot i have cut out in the bumper in the last pic, not too obvious thankfully!
Not long now i hope!
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 11 at 15:05
Well i am rather ashamed to say that i only just managed to get the van finished this morningEmbarrassed 
The combination of working that little bit more, nights drawing in, a science degree in progress, and having my wife walking a lot more meaning our other car was always available,  means that i have only just got round to sorting it!

What a difference though, makes it a little flying machine, great fun to drive nowLOL I am also glad to report that apart from having one intercooler hose blow off there have been no other teething problems.

For anyone considering doing the swap, it is worth it! Would i do anything differently now? only using the abl turbo i think. 
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 11 at 18:45
It seems the cold had done my battery in during the engine swap so i had a quick measure up and got a very large battery from fleabay, other than that just been enjoying driving it, i've swapped the drivers seat again, i did have a 5 series beemer seat in there, but it sat very high and with all the adjustment gubbins on the side i couldn't lower it without hitting the door pocket.
It now has a Leon 20vt seat which is uber comfy, i did have to shorten the seat base but thats cool, well happyBig smile
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 11 at 20:13
good work fella, was a great read , well doneClap
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>