The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9 tdi camper, going some funny colours!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 15:21

On the back of the fusebox there are 3 white plugs, pull out abl ones, plug in tdi ones. That serves the majority of the loom, there are a couple of loose connectors that unplugged seperately on both looms, it is those that i am going to check on later.

I need to pull out the header tank wires from the abl loom and run those through. i also need to check on the rev counter feed, i've got a feeling that is one of the loose wires i have not reconnected.

You need the clutch and 2nd brake switch and its bit of loom, these swap with another connector next to the white ones above.

The immob on mine is tied into the same connector as the brake light switch so i swapped that connector round, it is pretty straight forward.

You also need to swap one relay position and add another but i have not done this yet and will take a piccy when done.

I must add that my passat loom did not require any of the splitting from the lighting loom that the golf looms need.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 16:31
Cheers will be looking for a passat then any idea whether the afn{110hp} is any different P.S the vac hoses are for the heater recirculation
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 20:24
You need a b4 passat, it was the b5s that had the afn and i dont know what wiring differences there will be. The afn has variable turbine geometry and slightly larger nozzles. not sure on any other differences. 
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 20:59
afn{110} passats are available 96 on i don't think the b5 was until a few years later and are basically a Audi A4 with different panels
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 21:28
Had a little google 95+96 used the afn 110 but not in the uk by the looks of it, b5 is 97on so looks like its got to be a 1z
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 13:11
I got a fair bit cracked off yesterday, abl is out, all bits swapped over , didn't manage to get the box back on as the local motor factors didn't have a new tdi clutchAngry, i couldn't order it before as i wasn't 100% on wether it would fit the t4 splines, which it does.

Light, no more holes need drilling and tapping, i did use a tap to clean out the threads as they have not been used before.

the bracket on the abl block. top bolt is m8, bottom m10.
just got to stick the clutch on then sling it back in!
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

i had a 174 T5 you know..or was it a T4?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 15:01
Hey Mallot, I have got a new clutch plate in my workshop you can have , it is only a centre plate  i.e no cover  or thrust bearing  but if it helps you can have it today. FOC. 99.9 sure it was bought for an old 2.5 tdi T4 (Intercooler I think)  yours if you want it.
Terry 07771 862464 (Launceston)
Backing Britain -- Use as much fuel as I can
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 15:11
Right got it  in my hand  Plate for T4 5 cylinder diesel 12/90  -  228 mm  074 141 031F or possibly 180677944769 this last number could be wrong  any good for you ? Terry
24 splines

Edited by OOO 2 LOW - 05 Sep 10 at 15:17
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 16:29
Well that means i put the wrong bolts in mine as they are now m10Confused 
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 16:31
was the power steering pump on the back of the engine and is the clutch a dual mass

Edited by light - 05 Sep 10 at 16:34
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 08:27
Terry, thanks for the offer, i think the 2.5 boxes are different splines, i'm picking one up this morning and not taking any chances with the release bearing or plate, it gets done right first time.

Light, ps pump hangs off the back of the block yes, you can see it in the pic above, just above the driveshaft flange.
I think the top hole on the gearbox bracket is 10mm, just with a 8mm bolt in! Clutch is single mass, afn is dual mass.

Edited by mallott - 06 Sep 10 at 08:29
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 09:15
yep understand, just following the thread with interest, thought this plate  may have got you out of trouble yesterday -  still F.O.C. if someone wants it. It is new.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 10:57
10mm hole in the bracket, that explains why i drilled and taped it ,check the pump bolt hole on the face,facing the inner wing as i got a m8 in mine and is like a dick in a shirt sleeve on the bracket, and the belt is forever going slack due to the bolt loosening don't know if the bracket is worn or it should be m10
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 12:57
Originally posted by light light wrote:

is like a dick in a shirt sleeve 

LOL

All bolts for ps pump were m8, it's on now and can't be arsed to take it off, it wouldn't surprise me though, the  box bracket bottom hole was big enough for m12 and had m10 in! Don't know if they made em large to allow for movement or inaccuracy! Locktite and crank em up?

Anyway, the clutch and box is all on, but it's pissing it down at the moment, it's due to clear up later so all on hold til then.
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 16:05

The raid dried up about 45 mins after i finished today, sods law!

Some piccies because everyone loves piccies!

Rather tight for the inlet pipe! need to see how much movement there is at a later time

At least its back in now, well done meClap
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 17:31
Compliment your commitment didn't expect you to do much today because it hasn't just rained it has pissed it down all day up untill about 5pm and I live 13 miles away. Yeah well done you.

What I find really impressive is that if you study the pictures carefully,  he has done all this with a screwdriver and a dustpan and brush - not a spanner in sight - that's clever.

Edited by OOO 2 LOW - 06 Sep 10 at 17:40
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 18:07
Did you check the oil filter housing for clearance as i seem to remember when i put the aaz from a golf in mine that it interfered with something crosmember/rad fans/ under tray . After three and a half years things become a bit blured so it could have been on something elseConfused
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 20:06
Don't know how the dustpan and brush slipped in there! must have not been feeling well that day!

Light, the oil filter housing would probably clash with the undertray a little, but i'm not putting mine back on.

I've started to connect up bits of loom, tightened a few bits and bobs. just broke the little t piece that comes off the header tank, DOH.

With using the passat turbo and manifolds the flange that comes off the turbo is different in style and position, i'm having a stainless flange made up and have got a job lot of 2.5" bends off fleabay to knock up a new exhaust.
I should be acquiring a cossie intercooler later in the week, this should go perfectly under the number plate, i've got to cut out some slots in the bumper, hopefully it shouldn't be too obvious.
The inlet pipe is tight but it shouldn't get any closer with movement, if it becomes a problem in the future i will have to make a shiny ally one! I believe it will be ok though.

Also had to do the head bolts the final 90', i couldn't do it on the floor as i was just turning the engine! Thats fuggin tight!

Thats all folks
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 10 at 14:30
Yep that last 90 degrees are worryingly tight
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 18:59
I've had a day off the van today, had to go get a couple of bits from Plymouth this morning, then spent the rest of the day on the moors paragliding, our first day of decent weather for a while! Some bits for the piccy whores

I've had to make a new downpipe as the turbo is in a different place than on the abl

This is what the relay board looks like. wiring is now at a stage where IT STARTS woohoo. No exhaust or cooling system though so i shut it off straight away! Got to order some intercooler hose joiners. I'm happy it works though!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>