The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9 tdi camper, going some funny colours!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerousdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 10 at 20:51
what year/engine code passat are you using...as Im getting fed up with my slow smoky abl
soon be a new van !
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 10 at 09:35
James, you and Matt have too much time on your hands! It's a very cool vanSmile 

Dangerous dog, its a 1z out of a 96N passat Its cost me £205 to date. I don't really consider my van slow, just a leisurely driveLOL Its not smoky either! Hopefully i will be able to sell the ABL and recover most of my costs (crosses fingers)

Mat
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 21:21
Got the head off today, it's easy to see why getting rid of the egr is a good idea

Thats the centre 2 inlet ports, so i carried out a little experiment by filling the ports with water, the port in the centre of the pic held around 75ml compared to the very far left inlet which held 100mlShocked i then did a rough scraping out of the crap and ended up with this

Bear in mind there is still a load of crap stuck around the valve!and thats just 1 port! i will finish stripping the head tomorrow and get it all cleaned up.
New parts are water pump, head gasket set and cambelt kit.
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 10 at 20:56
I've got a little bit done, finished lapping in the valves earlier, i can rebuild the head now, repainted the rocker cover. in go faster red! I've run a flap wheel round the ports to smooth them off a bit, stuck the new water pump on and got the head gasket on waiting for the head.

Mat
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 10 at 19:50
The head is on,belt on, tapped out the 3 holes for the engine mount, ready for the end of the month when i have 2 weeks off to get it done.

Today, i did the quick shift mod. Superb! also took the oppurtunity to give everything a good lube and what a difference. Well worth the time and (little) effort.
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 11:07
Good Work, Keep the Pictures & Info coming Chap Clap
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 15:41
don't know if 1z is the same as a aaz concerning bolt holes on the block but you got to drill and tap the mounting holes for the drivers side drive shaft support mount ,worth checking as there's very little room to do it when engine is in as i found out to my cost  also power steering pump needs one of the bolt holes re tapping if i remember correctly {the one facing the inner wing?}.What are you doing for the bleed pipe on the head on the 1z  can you drill and fit a outlet in the same way as you do on the aaz ,as im looking to do a 1z swap  sooner or later
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 17:23
Ok Light, not sure i was aware of any of those! None seem to ring a bell with what i have read on the t4 forum! Do you have any pics and bolt sizes and then i can check against my block.

Forgot to mention i bought a passat hazard switch and put in a cheapy boost gauge from ebay.

What a pile of pants! it makes little chuffy noises and is so innacurate when your only running around 11psi and never in the negative! so i bought one of these to fit instead

a bargain at £6 delivered, much easier to see, was going to go for the 15 psi version, but i may want to go above that in the future! The only downside is that it doesn't light up, oh well never mind!
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 18:31
Just went out and took some snaps, the bolts you see hanging out are m8 all other holes are threaded m10

and what the engine looks like at the moment. Apologies for the super blurry pics!
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 18:39
No pics but if you look at the o/s drive shaft on the van it is in two pieces with the inner cv joint in the middle {it don't bolt to the diff} theres a support mount that bolts to the back of the block . On the aaz{golf eng} i done, the bolt holes were m8 and not used on the golf and need to be m10 for abl mount. When you take the abl out it will be simple to see ,I did not have that luxury as the van came with the engine in the back in bits .Do you need to drill the head on the 1z  like on the aaz ? P.S power steering pump was also m8-aaz m10 abl
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 19:13
Just seen the new pics you must have posted them when i was typing .The bolts shown {m8}the three nearest the fly wheel needs to be m10 if my memory serves me right but there again it could be the three with no bolts in, i would wait until you have the engine out before drilling and tapping just to be safe  same goes for the power steering pump bolt holes but you will need to re tap  to m10 also check the turbo support bracket
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 20:20
Ok i will check when its out and report back! with regards to the bleed in the head, first i've heard about that, when it stops raining i will check the van. You have to use the coolant flange from the abl on the side of the head, i guess it's part of that?
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 23:04
No on the abl there's a small bore pipe above the housing, on the end off the head {opposite end to cam pulley} that goes to the expansion tank with out that you get air lock problems as the highest point on the engine is know the back of the head as the engine, when in the van is leaning forward as opposed to laying backwards as it was when in a golf/passat that's the problem with the aaz ,dont know if its the same for a 1z that's why i asked the question as I'm looking to go the 1z route myself and put the aaz in a t3
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 07:55
Ok in that case yes iguess it will need to be done as the expansion hose outlet is on the front hose outlet on the 1z.
golfgtioz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golfgtioz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 19:31
nice build thread , good to see another tdi conversion on the go , ive had mine fitted since christmas and its never missed a beat yet .

keep us updated , watching this with interest  

what are you doing about the dip stick tube , just noticed the blocks not been drilled  

CARLISLE , CUMBRIA t4 1.9tdi
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 20:08
Originally posted by mallott mallott wrote:

Ok Light, not sure i was aware of any of those! None seem to ring a bell with what i have read on the t4 forum! Do you have any pics and bolt sizes and then i can check against my block.

Forgot to mention i bought a passat hazard switch and put in a cheapy boost gauge from ebay.

What a pile of pants! it makes little chuffy noises and is so innacurate when your only running around 11psi and never in the negative! so i bought one of these to fit instead

a bargain at £6 delivered, much easier to see, was going to go for the 15 psi version, but i may want to go above that in the future! The only downside is that it doesn't light up, oh well never mind!

As i understand it , it will never go into the 'negative' as you put it.
   As its a diesel engine and therefore dosnt have the vacum a petrol engine has due to not having a throttle body.
  A 'proper' diesel gauge will always start at 0.

I think.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 10 at 09:32
Yeah thats why i went for the 2nd gauge in the end. It's just a simple air pressure gauge. I thought i wouldb be ok with the 'proper' boost gauge but it was just shit.

Golfgtioz, i haven't drilled the dipstick hole yet, the old sump is still on, i will do it when the sump is off. I saw your posts on Aggies build thread, good to hear you've got all the bits swapped over and working good.
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 09:50
The conversion started in earnest the other night, started ripping all the front end off, no dramas. Had a good bit of time on it yesterday, engine and box are ready to come out, need to borrow the father in laws engine crane, will be getting that tonight.

T4 loom is out, tdi loom is in, i'm a little concerned with a couple of loose wires, but picking up some wiring diagrams later so should be able to sort that out. Started looking at how to mount the throttle pot.. hmmmmm.

How it looked yesterday morning

Madness in the garage!

Unravelling the spaghetti

How she looks at the moment, just engine mounts to undo. Thats the tdi loom laying on the carpet.

I'm using the t4 airbox, i have removed the little trumpets in both parts. I hope to use the tdi clutch, just got to check on the splines to make sure they are the same. Alt and ps are the t4 ones.

I have used the passat manifolds and turbo, (this keeps the turbo (hot) further away from the inlet manifold) i am making my own downpipe which i gather is the main reason everyone uses the t4  manifolds. This also means i am using the passat oil filter housing so i don't have to make a new oil feed pipe. I will however have to fiddle with coolant hoses if i want to keep the electric water pump jobbie.

Anyone know what the vac hoses go through to on the other side of the bulkhead?

Should have more tomorrow night.

Mat
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 12:29
If the passat filter housing is not a angled one like the abl it will hit the crossmember if my memory serves me right not 100% shore though
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 12:56
the vac hoses could be for the re circulation switch on heating system? Any chance of a bit more detail on whats involved in the wiring of the tdi loom to the abl fuse box and whats involved with the immobilizer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>