The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.7ky oil leak fixed then found more?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.7ky oil leak fixed then found more?
    Posted: 06 Jul 15 at 09:46
Morning all. I've recently got a project 1.7panel with zero history that has been budged about abit. Starts fine and runs which is great but had a few oil leaks from the rocker cover and one of the breather hoses, also the oil sender ( On top of the oil cooler/filter housing) had a leak so I stuck a new one in.
All good thought I had ticked a few jobs off the list but while bleeding the coolant last night I noticed oil dripping from the dipstick? It was pushed in but oil had crept up the stick and out the top.

Any ideas?
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 15 at 10:30
Oh and it's not too full of oil if anything it needs some
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
dave friday View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 15 at 10:52
Blocked cam cover breather?
1992 1.6td syncro
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 15 at 10:57
If it's not over full them it could be crankcase pressure.
Worn bores, bad compression. My mate had it on his.
As a stopgap he chopped the bottom of the dipstick tube of so that it did not sit in the oil.

He fitted an AGG a bit later.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 15 at 12:12
Where is the breather located ? All I have is a pipe from the top of the rocker cover that splits in two going to the inlet manifold? Seems like now the original leaks have been fixed the pressure has been raised and made the dipstick leak?
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 15 at 18:36
Yes the cam/rocker cover,pull the pipe off and see if you get a pulse of air/smoke from the cam cover puck/ufo thingy,also see if the pipe you pulled off is sucking air.
1992 1.6td syncro
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 15 at 19:30
I'll give that a go. Don't even know the correct milage of the engine so might be worn I guess. Try the easy things first.
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 15 at 14:55
rain stopped play but these are hopefully two pics showing what I have the rubber breather hose and the two pipes they connect to on the manifold. no other valves or bungs in between. should there be? pcv valve?

94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 15 at 18:17
looks like the oily side of the inlet manifold might be blocked.can you post a picture of the engine when its running [and hot]?
1992 1.6td syncro
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 15 at 19:01
The oil that side was due to a cut on the hose by the jubilee clip leaking over it. Will run it to hot and click a pic and post it.
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 15 at 12:25
Ran it to hot and tried to get a pick but flash wasn't really picking anything up. I ran it with the breather hose from the rocker cover off and I was getting a white mist out that increased with engine revs. Normal?? Also with breather pipe off still got oil from the dipstick dripping.
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 15 at 16:44
Just below and to the left of the oil filter stand is a plate with two cap bolts,undo the bolts and take the plate off,push a bit of hose in the hole..see if that helps.
1992 1.6td syncro
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 15 at 17:31
Ok I'll give it a go. Is the idea just to give the crankcase a hole to vent through? I've read of people making catch tanks.
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 15 at 20:33
Yes,it will give you an idea of what is going on!
1992 1.6td syncro
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 17:05
Got one Allen bolt undone but the other rounded. Bugger. Going to try cutting a flat notch into it instead and getting it out like that. What would fix on that space originally ?
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 18:51
Try hammering a 12mil socket on to the allen bolt [works for me!]the petrol pump fits there [on petrol engines]
1992 1.6td syncro
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 15 at 07:34
Thanks I'll try that
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 15 at 12:46
phew, got the stuck bolt out and have the cover off

should I now fire it up like that as its looks like a job to get a piece of hopes the right size to fit the hole and I don't want anything dropping in to get churned up?

I could always drill the blanking plate and weld on a hose nipple to run off it.
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 15 at 13:59
I'd drill the blank and bolt a threaded hose nipple through it. VW added a breather on later engines that runs from there to the rocker cover UFO, you can still get the pipes new but you'd need the UFO with an inlet and outlet

A trip to the scrapyard might be in order! If you look at the ebay listing you'll see the cars it's fitted to. 
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 15 at 17:45
AHHHH, thanks. Mine doesn't have a UFO breather thing. I have a scrapyard not too far (hainford hall,norfolk) so I'll have to pay them a visit I think to find one with inlet and an outlet then run a hose to it. Thanks for the advice.
94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>