The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16" syncro doka - two minds.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16" syncro doka - two minds.
    Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 14:06
Hi
I am in two minds about my Syncro 16.I have only owned it about 2 months and in that time spent only a couple of hrs with it. On delivery I had it shipped to RS911 in Wales for evaluation for some resto work to the body and a repaint.

In a nutshell my missus went ballistic when it arrived and I have builders in doing my house extension. I wont know where I will end up on the latter so money wise I might need to free up the money a put into the syncro as opposed to carrying out more work on it.

Its a pity really as the car is basically very complete and seems good for a starter. Its Swedish spec and has the vindic top on it.I for one love it. - If i take it forward I would go back to factory white, resto the nibbled bits and then go 80's plush on the interior.

Speaking about the interior. It has the central workcab divide still up so driver and bench in the front. In the rear I have a good Tri-star seat installed and a set of belts. All it really needs is some metal, paint and trimming up.

Mechanically - well it passed its swedish MOT in order to get export plates to ship. I had it transported my side. I wouldnt say you could drive it to the MOT shop and pass straight off. In principle its not bad. The engine starts first time. All the electrics seem to work (bar a short on a sidelight which means they are always on).All the indicators and flashers work. The gears are all there and there are no dodgy noises. I didnt drive it far enough to test. The car does feel as though it needs the brakes going over either to free them up a bit or to make sure you can stop once rolling. Anyone with an ounce of sense would renew the brakes as its a big heavy truck on old old brakes., new disks, pads, fluids and the like would work wonders. The only mechanical issue i am aware of is the front CV but - good news in this respect being a 16 with no front diff the CVs are stock to the 14" so no trouble getting new ones.(afaik)

Having just had it land Ive not registered it - banking on it being off the road for a resto for quite a few months with Mark at RS911.I have all the paperwork. Anyone interested in more details - PM me if you are.

Like I say at the start, I would rather not have to sell it - i already know its the wrong thing to do. Please dont assume the car is too much of a project. I love the thing and am itching to get my teeth into it BUT circumstances are pressuring me to do something as you can see Im not scared of a good project (Check out my RS project BEFORE / AFTER- hence the syncro resting at Marks workshop in wales.)

MY SYNCRO 16    
syncrostan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncrostan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 15:32
From Sweden with love! I would deffo say a full brake rebuild, guts of the exhaust will be shot at, ball joints and bushes up front, and maybe prop uj,s. Oh, then the shiney bling bits like paint work etc. Forget the extension, you will need a second mortgage just for the Doka!!! Enjoy. Thumbs Up
red964 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 17:09
hehe thanks - its all relative!
Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 07:30
How much is it?
Founder member of the "WESTERN FRONT VOLKSWAGEN KLUB".......membership no 0001
Syncro up View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncro up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 09:06
If its swedish spec the side lights are always on 'Volvo' style. So no problem there.

Good luck. Like Stan says, forget the extension, a syncro is the fastest way to empty your wallet.
Life is like a toilet roll...

The closer it get to the end, the faster it goes.

'87 RHD 2.1 Syncro Moonraker

'91 RHD AAZ Syncro Single cab pick up
jed the spread View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 09:13
I looked at buying this van a few years ago when i was looking for a doka. It had a funnty roof rack on it back then if i remember right.

jed
[URL=http://www.whatatool.com[/URL]

My real name is Jarrod Walsh my number is 07940177101 or email Jed@campervanCulture.com for enquiries.
red964 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 10:42
Yep - that's the one, I got it from Patrik in Sweden it had a funky roof rack with spotlights on it.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncrostan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 18:35
Thought i,d seen it before.
taigagreen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 19:03

Originally posted by Syncro up Syncro up wrote:

If its swedish spec the side lights are always on 'Volvo' style. So no problem there.

Side lights, as in turn signals? They are not on all time like US Vanagons, swedish spec is standard Euro spec in that regard.

Tage is my name :D
Too many T3's...
red964 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 10 at 16:05
£3500 ono

Hopefully. My building project 'extras' just hit the 'hello is that the bank manager' point.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncrostan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 10 at 21:59
any chance of a closer look!
red964 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 09:45
The vw is at RS911 in mid wales.
You are welcome to head up their and have a look.
Otherwise I'll get Mark to beam me a load of pics and I can send them through.
 Post Reply Post Reply