The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16" front suspension strenghening?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16" front suspension strenghening?
    Posted: 19 May 12 at 22:19
does anybody know if the plates for the front shocker mountings on 16s can be simply added to a 14" and if they can still be had new? i fancy a bit of beefing up on the pickup as its a littlle rusty and wont do any harm..
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 12 at 08:27
if you need to see pics of what they look like, i can take some if you like? To be honest, you could probably make the plates yourself rather than buy them
16" syncro multivan
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 12 at 12:17
Hi, some pics would be good but i did find the pics of the ones on Dai's van..and like you say i could make em up myself and most likely will do now.
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 12 at 19:09
sorry been a bit busy, nipped out and took these. If you need more just say

16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 12 at 20:44
Thanks for the pics..not a great deal to them but also very diferent to the 14" ones..i will improvise i think.
HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryMann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 12 at 14:24
Distinct lack of red arrows Smile

Presume the strengthening plates are underneath the flange bracket, which beggars the question...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 12 at 15:24
Does it....? What question?
HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryMann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 22:31
Yes, sorry, have taken a better look today, and answered it prettywell Thumbs Up

I can see the reinforcing plate easily fits between the suspension tower and the chassis, and flanges attached it.

Surprising how incredibly strong the 14" suspension and chassis are. I might have tested one way beyond 99/100 others, as of last Syncropendence Wink
But this is a 1.8 tonne Doka not a 2.5 tonne camper on the 14" chassis.

Maybe of interest - on a vehicle with relatively non-serious and quite typical rather then excessive corrosion for its years - there is some corrosion (chassis web bubbling) just behind the suspension pickup, seen before, and probably due to the internal stiffening/doubler, which area could have done with much more rigorous protection in manufacture

Edited by HarryMann - 20 Aug 12 at 22:38
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 12 at 23:02
What's more suprising is that the 16" front end reinforcement is identical to that on (probably) the only small-window SA syncro in the UK, namely rollercoaster's red Caravelle late of syncrospares. It's on an F-plate and as an SA afficinonado I had a bit of a shufty round it on the Devon weekend Wink

Edited by silverbullet - 24 Aug 12 at 23:04
Have I missed anything?
HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryMann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 12 at 23:14
Yup, didn't look myself Ian, probably peeling spuds :)  or sheltering from the rain, or something

What would you say instigated that style of stiffening and strengthening? Increased AUW of 16" campers and expected derivatives... as mine having smashed down from some considerable height (say 1/2 metre clear of the ground and maybe 15 mph) several times, I am struggling to see any signs of buckling of those tower webs.
Upon much chin scratching and musing, supping of tea and suchlike, I would have gone for strengthening the upper part of the tower webs, or their attachment to top of chassis rail, wheeas what I can see in those pics is the lower section strengthened most.

Is your SA modified in such a way then?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 12 at 23:35
And most generous with the minted tatties you were too! Never thought to look for that detail on my bus, but will do now! SA's tended to lag behind in the tech stakes compared to Hannover/Graz built vans e.g. my 1990 Microbus has fabbed lower track arms, whereas the forged type came in, what, 5 years earlier in Germany?
It and the '95 both have plenty of scarring underneath so they all got a beating out there, no reason to think that syncros would be much different. Report in due course...

Edited by silverbullet - 27 Aug 12 at 23:37
Have I missed anything?
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 12 at 21:33

the lower arms being fabbed rather than forged is probably a  "we can weld them up if they break" type thing

they do like to mend and make do     out there.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryMann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 12 at 21:37
But the forged ones do not break, the fabbed ones can rust, though less likely in SA I suppose Wink

Edited by HarryMann - 28 Aug 12 at 21:38
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 12 at 16:07
Originally posted by T3ADICT T3ADICT wrote:

the lower arms being fabbed rather than forged is probably a  "we can weld them up if they break" type thing

they do like to mend and make do     out there.

More like smaller production numbers and getting the Hannover cast-offs, combined with promoting local employment with limited skills. Pressing and welding doesn't require the sort of tool-up ad training investment that forging and machining demands. Some of the bodyshell welding and dressing leaves a bit to be desired, not what you'll find on a German van.

There is a 1993 big-window syncro here in the UK I believe, maybe ask the owner who has apparently re-surfaced on 80-90 after a long absence?
Have I missed anything?
 Post Reply Post Reply