The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" Empi Alloys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichDP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" Empi Alloys
    Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 13:13
After a little advice and comment if I can from people. 

I inherited a set of 15" Empi alloys with my T3 which had ridiculously small 185/60/15 rubber fitted making it look like it was running on Mini wheels!  I promptly bought a cheap set of regular T3 steels and used them all last year. 

I would now like to fit a set of alloys back onto the van and am thinking of kitting up the Alloys with 195/70/15 rubber, as this gives almost the same radius as standard.  What do people think of the Empi's on a T3, do they look any good??  I am thinking it may not be a very low profile look and it may be better going for a completely different alloy with a 16" or 17" rim instead.

Any thoughts, or links to pics appreciated before I spend my hard earned!!!

Cheers
1988 Westy Pop Top 1.6TD
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 13:17
Originally posted by RichDP RichDP wrote:

What do people think of the Empi's on a T3, do they look any good??

If they're the usual 5 spoke affairs..... NO!

They're the wrong offset and are designed for Bays/Splits.
RichDP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichDP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 13:51
Thanks Steve, I thought that was the case, in fact bearing in mind most of the things that had been done to my Van I should have known that the wrong bloody stuff had been put on!!

Better put a for sale ad on here then :-)
1988 Westy Pop Top 1.6TD
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 17:43
Originally posted by Steve B Steve B wrote:

Originally posted by RichDP RichDP wrote:

What do people think of the Empi's on a T3, do they look any good??

If they're the usual 5 spoke affairs..... NO!

They're the wrong offset and are designed for Bays/Splits.

To be fair, most of the EMPI5 copies have the wrong offset for Bays too! I think the new breed have been re-tooled with 'better' offsets, but I'd only run them as winter wheels... if I didn't have 14"steels for that purpose Wink
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 19:56
Wrong offset / right offset,  look good / look crap, all well and good but these wheels are fine for a bug but are not up to the job of carrying a heavy van. I had a set of 5x205's on my old Ghia and they were very easily damaged. There are different makes. Maybe I had a poor make. Thought they were Eagle. They were wheels from the states.

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16
mfunsta View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfunsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 12 at 06:33
No, No, No WTS^^

though in wheel style, whatever floats your boat, as long as it fits and is safe..
..nice 17" or bigger multi spoked/flat face alloy for your euro look/square headlights and some 16" steels for your panel van.... I reckon
 Post Reply Post Reply