The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14" syncro rear drums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14" syncro rear drums
    Posted: 12 Nov 10 at 17:27

Any one know if the rear drum back plates are syncro specific for a 14" syncro.

I had some new spares ones but could'nt remember if they where for 2WD or 4WD, fitted them anway. The problem i am having is that when you push the drum on fully it gets very tight i.e can spin the wheel properly. I know its not the brake shoes as i have backed the right off.
Any ideas. ??
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 10 at 19:01
14" are same as 2WD.
251 609 425 D
251 609 426 D

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 10 at 20:13
Those rear plates get bent when people try & get the drum off (I knowEmbarrassed) and they can then rub & jam. Take the drums off & check them over carefully.
Founder member of the "WESTERN FRONT VOLKSWAGEN KLUB".......membership no 0001
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 10 at 21:03
I had a feeling the 2wd and 4wd were the same.
Think i may have bent mine slightly when fitting it and it is hard to check especially as i removed the 2 grubs screws for fitting the merc steelies. Can you still get the grub screws. ?
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 10 at 22:37
M7 x12mm
nla from VW
I have M7 x20 in stock
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 21:34
Cheers chaps all sorted know, put the old drums back on and it is all working again.
Still not sure why new drums dont seat properly it's the last 2 mm when the drums go on and then the drums wont turn, new shoes are ok with old drumsConfused
Nothing to do with the back plates, bizzare.
 Post Reply Post Reply