The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.6td (JX) replacement engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stannardmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.6td (JX) replacement engine
    Posted: 09 Mar 16 at 11:24
Hi all,
I have a 1990 1.6td (JX) Westie which had the head gasket replaced twice and a new head fitted about 2yrs/ 8,000 miles ago. To my dismay the head gasket has just gone again. The engine has done about 150,000miles. As the problem with the head gasket seems to be reoccurring I've been told it might be better to replace the whole engine. Is this a sensible idea?
If I do replace the whole engine, can anyone recommend a garage in the South West that could fit one (preferably someone who has fitted T3 td engines before)? Also, can anyone recommend a good supplier for recon T3 td engines (the garage may have a preferred supplier but I've heard some companies do better recons than others)?
Since I'm replacing the whole engine should I consider upgrading to a 1.9td (AAZ) engine, which I'm told is a fairly standard upgrade? Other than being a bit more expensive are there any negatives with doing this? 
I'm a total novice when it comes to mechanics so any advice greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance,
Mat

timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 16 at 18:20
Was it really a new head? Has it now been cooked, If not it might be worth another go. JX lumps at 150k can certainly be past their best but not necessarily the case.  Is there another problem in the colling system causing the trouble, maybe a knackered rad? 

The AAZ is a worthwhile replacement and not overly complex but not just a question of making that decision. You`ve got to find one first.   The 2.0l AGG gti lump seems to be the flavour right now and is well worth considering. You will need someone competent to do the job and will get plenty of info if you punt around. 
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
billen View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 16 at 15:20
Just got mine back from Mario at MV engineering(only on Facebook). I used him because he has a good reputation. More than happy with it although the extra umpf from the 1.9TD did confuse me for a few days with it 'appearing' to rev too high (actually the old knackered engine was just bogging down in top). My previous engine was a 1.6TD that was apparently reconditioned by Elite VW (NEVER use them!) and fitted bty the previous owner, but was just trouble right from the start. I should have replaced it right from the start

billen
1.6TD Westy poptop. New van, same old problems

rett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 16 at 23:15
I got  my jx recon from an outfit called  A W engineering ltd  It cost £ 1300 (exchange)  done about 10k  so far and is still good.
I ended up replacing the turbo as well which was £350 and a new clutch to boot.
the list goes on LOL

just cause ya breathing dont mean ya alive
 Post Reply Post Reply