Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.6 JX TD - Top Speed 55MPH ish....?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 17 at 20:58
Originally posted by Timjburrows Timjburrows wrote:

When your doing 55mph put your foot down on the clutch and see if it revs any more then you would know if it's flat out or not

of course it will rev more - suddenly the engine only has to turn itself over!!!! LOL
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 17 at 21:05
whs ^^
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 17 at 00:03
Chuck it in 5th with your handbrake on tight and see how far you can let off the clutch before it stalls. But im sure you would recognize a slipping clutch if its that bad 
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 17 at 00:12
Originally posted by rowlesy rowlesy wrote:

When your doing 55mph put your foot down on the clutch and see if it revs any more then you would know if it's flat out or not

of course it will rev more - suddenly the engine only has to turn itself over!!!! LOL

I understand what your#e saying Tim, shame the fuckwit sisters don't spend as much time reading as they do writing..............
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 17 at 20:18
Originally posted by ELVIS ELVIS wrote:

Originally posted by rowlesy rowlesy wrote:

I understand what your#e saying Tim, shame the fuckwit sisters don't spend as much time reading as they do writing..............

what the actual fuck elvis! so your in 4th/5th gear driving and your doing 55 and it wont go any faster so you depress the clutch and fuck me the engine suddenly has a lot less to do! if it didnt pick up revs i'd be looking for a new engine there and then! just because you've depressed the clutch doesnt mean that it should go faster if the revs rise......resistance thats called! and we've all heard of the phrase "transmission loss"
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 17 at 21:32
Resistance or load.... LOL
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 17 at 21:47
The point I was making was the WORST gear ratios give you a speed of 50mph at 3269 rpm SO by putting your foot on the clutch when you think your doing 4500rpm may tell you weather the engine is flat out or not,at the beginning of this post I did say have you checked the speed with a sat nav and the engine rpm with a rev counter as theoretical its impossible to do 52 mph at 4000 rpm UNLESS the clutch is slipping!
Adef View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 17 at 08:42
Update - garage couldn't get me a rpm reading (not sure why) but they said the Rev counter is 100% not accurate (eg. Turbo kicks in at 4500 according to rev counter)
Will research how I might correct the issue and taking on board comments.

(managed 100kph on an A road but was a bit windy for the HT, will venture north to a dual carriageway soon to give it full beans)

Thanks All.
'89 Club Joker High Top
Adef View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 17 at 15:50
Closure (maybe). Bought a photo tacho laser things from Amazon for £13, worked well, got a reading off the crank of around 750rpm at idle where my rev counter was reading 1100. 

Further forum research and I removed the rev counter and adjusted the potentiometer, also found a loose connection to the Rev counter which managed to fix.

Seems much better now, but don't think it's 100%, done 100kph (62mph) on local A Road and it's got more to go, still sounds like it needs a 6th gear, but I guess that's the original 3H ratios - maybe a gearbox change one day.
Case Closed for now at least.

'89 Club Joker High Top
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 17 at 05:05
Originally posted by Adef Adef wrote:

......., still sounds like it needs a 6th gear, but I guess that's the original 3H ratios - maybe a gearbox change one day.

They all sound like that. I ran 5% larger tyres on mine for a while, the JX would just coped with it, it went over saddleworth moor in top. 
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 17 at 09:31
^^^ WHS

I went to 11% oversize on an old bus of mine, running a turbo'd 1Y
was too large really, gap between 4th and fifth too large
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12