The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.6 d -1.6td

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.6 d -1.6td
    Posted: 10 Nov 08 at 22:26
i know its a straight swap but shall i fit an oil cooler as well,and the gearbox is a 3h one and the van i took it out of was the type with the raise floor area around the gearstick i have kept all the gear rods + stick but can i use this or do i need to get a stick from a flat floor type ,mine is 4 speed at the moment , ?
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 08 at 22:32
should be able to keep the stick etc that you have in there already

oil cooler is recommended to be honest, makes a big ol difference, the engines get hot in the back of there, and having a red hot turbo heating the oil up as well it does shout oil cooler...
dp67bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 08 at 20:03
just another question i am putting this jx turbo diesel in my camper could i put a set of hydrallic tappets in it or do i have to stick with those shimmed ones Confused

Edited by dp67bug - 20 Nov 08 at 20:05
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 08 at 21:22
JX works fine with shimmed tappets. Once set properly they won`t need any adjustments for quite a while.
Sunny Lancs
dp67bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 09 at 22:27
ok i have managed to get round to fitting the engine and gearbox to my t3 , i had the fuel pump overalled and a new set of injetor nozzles fitted, fitted a new timming belt kit and i have managed to fit the aaz bottom pulley , water pump pulley , 90 amp alternator and its mounting bracket so i have the ribbed belt running all the pulleys , i have also fitted the oil filter housing off an audi sb engine the one that bolts to the engine block and still managed to fit the block type oil cooler between this housing and the oil filter the block type one is the one the water pipes are connected too so iam wondering where is the best place to mount the oil radiator/ cooler as i need to get some new hoses made to connect the radiator/cooler the the housing i bolted to the block . so iam hoping the engine will be running nice and cool with the two types of oil coolers fitted , and will this engine (jx) run better with an intercooler or shall i leave the intake standard set up ?

Edited by dp67bug - 24 Feb 09 at 23:04
dp67bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 22:05
f**king gutted put all the engine together today and put my new injectors in tightened them down with a pull bar and managed to crack the head Cry and number 3 injector is now loose , so do i take head off and replace it or just rip the engine out and put an aaz engine in as i got all the sump etc to refit , any ideas guys ?
Zebedee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 11:01
Bugger.Cry

I did the same with a spark plug on my bus a few months back.
dp67bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 18:30
all these view but nobody want to say what to do ?
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 19:05
use it as an excuse to put one of the AAZs in your yard in.'specially with ya hi-top.
     when i went from JX to AAZ the difference is very noticable. mpg improved aswell.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

dp67bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 20:37
so are aaz engines better than the jx 1.6 turbo diesel engine Confused
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 20:46
in my humble experience , a masssssssive yes.

Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

dp67bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 22:08
come on baxter shine some light in here Wink
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 09 at 09:47
There's oodles of stuff on here about the AAZ conversion - use the search and all will be revealed! Wink

Also - have a look at this: clickety click
and this: cerlick 
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
dp67bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 09 at 21:03
ok i got round to fitting an aaz engine using the jx turbo, manifolds and sump the engine was stripped down i used new gasgets for the sump, (rubber one) rear oil seal, rocker cover seals etc
i left all the plastic water housings on the head , this way the jx waterpump to head hose fitted no problems, i managed to straighten out the oil return pipe to the sump and it fits well, i also managed to leave the wiring on the engine from the aaz and the multi block connector at the side of the vaccum pump and i aslo kept the other side of this plug from the car and connected this side into the van harness so in the event i need to remove the engine its just twist off , then i managed to get the jx throttle arm to fit the aaz with no welding etc , i also used the aaz alternator set up which works fine , i also managed to use the jx dipstick and filled engine with 4.5 litres of oil run engine and checked oil level and was on maximum mark , all temp guages working fine , engine pulls well just a few liitle things to do this week like new battery clamp , and general check over and hopefully it will be happy driving from then on Smile 
dp67bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 09 at 22:47
well done over 500 miles and going well Big smile
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 09 at 22:55
well done mate! You must have been sooo gutted when you overtightened that injector, so top marks for getting straight back in there and getting the  aaz in. Should have done that in the first place!!
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
 Post Reply Post Reply