The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'06 T5 I.C.E

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat2304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '06 T5 I.C.E
    Posted: 13 Jan 10 at 19:50
hi,
i'm looking for some sound advice. (pun intended!)
my '06 T5 has the VDO CD player in it but it doesn't work to well.
i would ideally like to replace with a genuine VW CD and would like to be able to run a Sony Walkman MP3 and an iPod through it. does anyone know if the RCD200 from a later model could be used?? or better alternatives??
any advice gratefully received. cheers.
Mat
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 10 at 19:57
don't bother wt the rcd200 its rubbish, get a kenwood douuble din unit
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
rallye dale View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallye dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 10 at 21:47
My Van..http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic26281&KW=_post196345.html#196345

My Car..http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288209

T30 LWB 2.5 130 REMAPPED 56 PLATE
TwoFish View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 12:14
I run my ipod through my RCD200, via a Dension interface.

That's because my van came with an RCD200 in the first place though. If you're planning on replcing your head unit anyway, there are almost certainly better options than fitting an RCD200 + £100 interface + having to fit that too.
Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 14:04

I'm seriously tempted to blow some of the kids inhertitance on a Kenwood or similar double DIN all-singing and dancing jobbie, but does anyone have any recommendations for audio fitters in or around Northamptonshire?

Could have a bash fitting it, but would rather have someone do it whilst I'm working as I'm a wimp in the cold & wet stuff!
Norty Raskel View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norty Raskel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 15:21
Not quite Northamptonshire but Car Electronics in Leicester fitted my Kenwood for an additional £60. I'm an electronics engineer and quite capable of fitting a stereo, but for £60 it wasn't worth me messing about.

I've since inspected their work and they have done a very neat job indeed.

Norty
07 T32 LWB Kombi
rskardon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rskardon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 15:36

What's the security like on these double din units? I have seen quite a few and most arent face/off ones so are they normally coded or something?

Thanks,

R
T5 130 SWB Off Road Grey
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norty Raskel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 15:53
The Kenwoods aren't face off, but when switched off they look nothing special, certainly not flashy, the buttons along the bottom are very discreet.

In the T5 dash, they look like standard equipment if you didn't know any better.

Norty
07 T32 LWB Kombi
blazin-saddles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazin-saddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 16:31
Norty, did you buy the unit from them also?  Is your van a multiplex wired version, if so did the find a switched live for you as well or just a perm live?  I'm in Leicester and have got a Kenwood double din on my table at home just not had the inclination to fit it yet as I have a whole heap of other stuff to take care of as priority.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norty Raskel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 17:38
Yes I did, they weren't overly expensive for the head unit either, I think I found it £20 cheaper over the internet so again it wasn't worth the trouble. I was in the same boat as you, I didn't have a free weekend for about 6 weeks so although I could have fitted it, I just didn't have the time.

My van has the CAN bus, they impressed me by knowing that the van would have one and that I would need an adapter (which they had in stock about £25-30 iirc). The head unit works off a switched live.

Overall I was very impressed with Car Electronics, I originally went in looking at the Kenwood 9000 series, but was convinced the extra features were not worth the extra £200 over the 7000 series, so they actually talked me into buying a cheaper item. I will be going back when I get round to the rear speakers and amps.

I'm pretty sure they would still be happy to install your head unit even though you hadn't bought it from them.

Norty
07 T32 LWB Kombi
Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 20:52
Thanks for the heads up, Norty. Nice to have a recommendation, ta.
blazin-saddles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazin-saddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 22:26
Is that the outfit off Welford road?
Wot no mud? View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot no mud? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 22:57
Yes it is - now get back under your van.

Post Reply Post Reply